Silver Dat?

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I am completely new to Dat's and have a few questions. First is what is a reasonable price to pay for one. Obviously I'd prefer free but that will not be happening. Currently I only have a 90 gallon tank and I am wondering if this will be suitable for this fish for most of its life or is there another species that would work out in a 90 for around a year or so.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hey there fellow Philly fish keeper.The silvers have always been the lowest price of the dats and some places in our area have even had two inchers for under twenty bucks each.If you get one that small it can live in that tank for quite a long time.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Im about 5 minutes outside of Philly in Montgomery County. Do you know any shops that regularly sell these? The one shop I went to in Norristown was bought out by Natural Pets and has gone down hill ever since. I am looking for somewhere new to go on a regular basis.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Close enough lol...Check out Monster Pets in South Philly on Columbus Blvd and if you are up to a bit more of a drive Aquarium Center in South Jersey seems to always have them and they have had them at the lowest prices I've ever seen.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Close enough lol...Check out Monster Pets in South Philly on Columbus Blvd and if you are up to a bit more of a drive Aquarium Center in South Jersey seems to always have them and they have had them at the lowest prices I've ever seen.
I think I've picked a koi up before from monster pets I remember that place being pretty big didn't really look at it's other stock. May look into aquarium center I've heard some good things about that place

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah and as long as you are in that area you might as well swing by Giant Aquarium at 7th an Tasker.Nice little shop and he gets dats from time to time...Aquarium Center is the best bet in our area...they always have a nice selection.

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
I bought .5-1"" silvers for $8 and a few for $6 because there was a sale next day. The same place another time had bigger ones about 1.5" for $14. I sold my 4" for $20 each. I had them for quite a long time and could have stayed in my 70g for probably another year

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just remember silver tigers are brackish water fish something a lot of people foget to mention

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I didn't forget to mention that but I chose not to since no one keeps them that way.The shops don't even have them in brackish water but that's not saying much lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store