Paroon shark severely stunted

Josie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Newcastle, UK
Hi everyone, this is my first post!

So I'm not new to fish, I have seven tanks and lots of fish. My fiancé rang me and said his friend needed rid of his 200 litre/50 gallon tank. I went down to see it, and saw it had this shark that is probably just under a foot long, a few clown loaches, hoplo catfish and a small pleco, I'm pretty sure a bulldog pleco, who's now in my 30 G. The shark was just so stressed out. His nose was all raw and red from bashing around and he just spent the whole time in a constant state of panic. As soon as I saw him I knew I wasn't leaving him there to get sold on, as he would of probably lived the rest of his life in that tiny tank.

I moved my goldfish out of my 120 gallon, they went in the 50 and all the new guys went in the big tank (which I know is nowhere near big enough, but better than what he had)

so my main question is, this fish is at the very least 5 years old, the people we bought him from had him for at least four and a half years, and they bought the whole set up with him in so I'm not sure how old he is. He has been surviving on two bloodworms once a day. He is like a rake. I'm guessing he is this small due to malnutrition and the cramped tank?

He is much happier, much less stressed and has stopped crashing into the sides of the tank like he was in his old home. At the minute I can't get him to eat anything other than prawns :/ which I can see getting expensive but I've tried him with every other type of food I have, which is a lot of different varieties shapes and sizes, frozen, pellets, flakes, wafers all different sizes and he's interested in nothing but prawns... But anyway I'm rabbiting on now!
Shall I expect some more growth, or is his stunting so severe this will be a permanent thing? I'm not used to these huge monster fish! image.jpg

image.jpg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
well done, with proper care he could grow again, ive had it happen with channa. the chance is pretty slim tho, he looks very nice. if you buy big bags of prawns from the frozen section at iceland it will be very cheap to feed him prawns. you should continue to attempt varying his diet tho, try stuffing pellets inside the prawns to get some nutrition in him... as cooked prawns have very little goodness left!-) keep us updated.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure if stunting can be restarted or not but nice find and save anyway.I have been searching high and low for a paroon shark...Do you guys have frozen raw prawn in the stores there?That would be better than cooked prawn.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Good on you for rescuing him. I saw a paroon in my LFS recently that basically didn't have a snout because it was worn away from rubbing on the glass.

I'd slowly increase the amount of food he gets a day; I'm not sure if fish can suffer from re-feeding syndrome but it would probably shock his system to get a bunch of high quality food right away. He might grow a little but 5 years of damage won't ever be totally reversed. In the mean time keep the water as clean as possible to prevent infection on his wounds.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good advices above.

I'd say that given proper tank and care, it will grow well. May not reach its 4'-5' potential, I agree, but will get to 3' I think quickly and with ease (not in a 120 gal of course).

It's a free-swimming all-out predator. It will eat anything, usually, and has no boundaries to what it considers prey. I know, it does not sound like that from your description but I am talking about an average, well taken care of paroon shark.

Yet, it needs no live feeding and the prawns are nice but should not account for more than 1/4-1/3 of its diet. It should take any fleshy foods (of aquatic origin) - fish, better whole, but pieces are ok, seafoods, crustaceans, snails / mussels, other inverts, amphibians, reptiles, insects, worms, etc. It may take pellets too.

A little fast of a few days to a week will make it take anything. But for now, it's ok to cater to its whims to get it healthy and strong.

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
Welcome to the community Josie, looks like you're getting lots of help and support!

I bet he won't turn down chopped up earthworms mixed in with the prawns and bloodworms he's used to. Plus, because earthworms are live, they are still full of B vitamins that freezing depletes. But live goldfish feeders are a bad choice because goldfish also are lacking in B vitamins (in so many words). Also, you can add a liquid vitamin supplement to thawed frozen fish, there is one in the states called Zoe.

Yes, in the 120, his growth will definitely pick up to where it has stopped, but he will still be stunted overall. If you have the room, maybe you and your partner can build an indoor "pond" for him in the future. Good luck!

Josie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Newcastle, UK
Thanks everyone for the help!

Putting a pellet inside the prawn is a good idea, I will have to try that! The funny thing is, all he's been fed is blood worms (apparently) but he refuses bloodworms here. Don't know why. Earthworms were also my next choice if he didn't take the prawns, will collect some soon.

I also would never feed feeder goldfish because of the disease they can carry, they are kept do badly, I would not be putting one of those in any of my tanks! Also, I have three 6 inch very nice "feeder goldfish" I have millions of endler fry though, so when they grow a little I might see if he likes them as a treat.

I wonder If I could feed him white bait? L
thanks so much for all the ideas and help :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
...B vitamins that freezing depletes...
Interesting. Elaborate pls if you will.

The funny thing is, all he's been fed is blood worms (apparently) but he refuses bloodworms here. Don't know why.
***I think he is looking out for your wallet :) Bloodworms is not a way to go. They were ok when he was a few inches. BTW, he looks good on the photo, so I'd not worry much that he refuses some foods. It should not last.

I wonder If I could feed him white bait?
***What's that? Fresh silversides? Sure, after freezing.

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
Sure. There are high levels of an enzyme called thiaminase found in live or dead goldfish, rosy reds, shellfish, etc. This enzyme destroys the thiamine or vitamin B1 inside of the predatory fish that eats them. Other feeder fish with high thiaminase levels include shiners, whitefish, salmon, anchovies, herring, sardine, etc. Some people stuff pellets inside the food, prior to feeding, to combat this.

In addition to depleting B1 in the predator that eats them, offering any food fish after freezing and then thawing destroys B1 in the food fish itself, so double whammy. The longer the food is frozen, the further depleted the B1 content will be. This translates into anorexia, weight loss and weakness in the predatory fish.

Cooking destroys that enzyme in the food fish, which stops the depletion of B1. But cooking also depletes the nutrition content of the food, so it's not a good solution. Food fish like smelt, flounder, tilapia, sunfish, guppies and mollies either lack the enzyme, or have very low levels, thus are a great source to feed. Supplementing with liquid vitamins also works well. Happy fish keeping!

Reactions: mattybecks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store