sick sevrum

FishMerch.com

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2014
California
So I have a Male red spotted gold sevrum. I normally do not keep chiclids. He hasent been eating for about a 4 weeks now. I moved him from my 180 to a 10 gal hospital tank. He is breathing heavily and has been doing so for 3 weeks. It appears his slime coat is coming off. I see clear trails of what looks like snot coming from his body. It is clumping up and floating around the bottom of the hospital tank. The slime stopped coming off once I raised the temp to 84 and did water changes every 4 days with aquarium salt. I had previously been dosing his hospital tank with Metro+. It says to discontinue after 3 days. I have done the three days with water changes too. He looks like he is breathing easier and moving around more than he did in the beginning but he still sits at the bottom and leans to his side. I've tried feeding him but he still wont eat. The hospital tank is set up with a sponge filter.

Hardest part is that this is my second adult sevrum to do this. When the last one died this way I bought this new guy and grew him out. I'm so bummed to have to deal with this again.

ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40ppm Ph 7.8-8.0

I have my big tank on a 24/7 drip system and check to make sure no chlorine was getting in. All my other fish in the tank are doing just fine. They were all present for the last one when it died and they are all still living. So I know I'm doing something wrong according to chiclid law.

I just read that they should have a primary diet of veggies. I have only been feeding that tank massivor pellets. Would this cause his issues? I have learned that severums need veggies in their diet recently. I just was wondering if diet would be the cause.

I think he only has a day or two left. Please help. Any other information I am leaving out please ask questions. I've been keeping monster fish for 4 years not and done a pretty good job. So I'm not in the beginner category. I know the basics.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Yes, the diet of Massivore without veg could very well be a big issue. 40 nitrate is also quite dangerous with a Ph in the upper 7's or 8. My Sevs get a lower percentage protein pellet, with kelp pellets and spirulina based pellet as about half the diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store