What to do with 72 Gallon Bowfront

dsbaker15

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Johnson County, Indiana
I recently bought a stand and a bunch of supplies off a guy whose wife wanted them out of the house. He threw the tank in because it has a small crack. The tank is at least 10 years old, but he couldn't remember when he got it. It's a 72 gallon glass bowfront, lights and a HOB filter and all the other accessories I would want. I have no experience resealing a tank however, so I'm not real sure on how to proceed. I'm in no hurry with this, and in fact am away for a couple weeks (I should have thought about taking pictures before I left...)

The crack is in the front bottom corner on the side piece near where it meets the bowfront and the bottom pane. It's super small and is just one hairline-type crack. I filled the aquarium halfway to test it(slowly over the course of a few days) and it does leak a little. The way I see it, I've got three options:

1. Non aquatic pet
2. Take it all apart and redo everything
3. Seal that corner and trust the other old seams

Obviously if I decide I want it to be a fish tank I need to fill it super slow and make sure everything cures and all that jazz. If I decide I want a non-aquatic pet, I don't really know what I'd put in there but I want to make use of the height. Knowing that bowfronts aren't real solid to begin with, I'm leaning towards no fish, but if it's plausible fish are my preferred choice. Suggestions?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
1&2 are the only viable options, new silicon doesn't bond with old silicon. If you choose 2 it shouldn't cost too much to have a local glass shop cut you a replacement piece. Thee are a lo of info on this site and others as to how to reseal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store