Why do people buy fish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
...With the intentions of eventually rehoming them? I don't get it.

I think it's silly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I think a lot of people say that to avoid being flamed here. "Well if the rtc outgrows my 90g I already have a place for it" ya oooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk. I remember there was this kid obsessed with growing out rtc on here even though he was a broke kid and couldnt house them for more than a few months

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
I think a lot of people say that to avoid being flamed here. "Well if the rtc outgrows my 90g I already have a place for it" ya oooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk. I remember there was this kid obsessed with growing out rtc on here even though he was a broke kid and couldnt house them for more than a few months
I agree with this for most cases, however I do feel that there are some people who simply enjoy the challenge of raising a fish more than keeping a fish for it's whole lifespan. If that makes any sense

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
I don't do it, and haven't done it, more for the pain in the butt of it once it reaches that point, but I don't think it is silly. I do "get it". If I wanted an RTC, which are available for free when bigger or almost nothing when small, I would just do it and give it away - or even kill it - when it got too big. I am sure there are those who will think I am irresponsible or even unethical, and I can handle the flames, but I just don't agree. Look, even the wealthiest and committed aquarists, let alone the rest of us, keep ALL fish in (relatively speaking) little glass or acrylic boxes, and we do it for our own entertainment and interest. Stand next to a lake or river and how far from shore do you have to get before you are beyond the depth of even the biggest aquariums on this site (let alone looking at a chunk of that lake or river six feet by three feet)?

All I am saying is that it is not much of a stretch to go from what all of us do, to doing it for a while with a fish you don't intend to keep for its own life. I am sorry if this unsentimental view pisses you off, but come on...they are not kids you have intending to send off to adoption when they stop being cute. They are fish. To be clear, and before you all call PETA on me, I keep my fish in pristine water, uncrowded, feed them well, spend a bunch of money on it. Because keeping them well and healthy is a big part of it for me. But if I wanted a fish I could not keep long-term, I would not hesitate.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
It was Furious Fish he got banned yet still keeps monster fish in tiny tanks he has a YouTube called MonstaFishkeeper

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
It was Furious Fish he got banned yet still keeps monster fish in tiny tanks he has a YouTube called MonstaFishkeeper

I still stalk his channel every once in a while :D

On topic though, I think it's pretty irresponsible. Most lfs aren't equipped to take in a 2.5 ft rtc/paima/whatever that will continue growing as they wait for someone to buy it. The commonly available tank busters are difficult to re-home, especially if you care about the quality of home they go to. Local zoos and aquariums already have their pick of monster fish that outgrew their homes; they can't take in every one. So unless you're in a situation where you're doing a friend with a sufficient long term pond/tank a favor by growing out something that, for whatever reason, they can't, buy fish you can keep for life.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Some people just don't have the self control and also lack in responsibility. Only one of my friends out of many understand once you "buy" something you assume the responsibility of its life. I feel when someone purchases a fish they are agreeing to take care of it as in proper tank size, maintenance, and also the general health of the fish.

This is the main reason why I hate how silver arowanas are so easily obtainable. Many of my friends have bought silver aros and once I tell them they need a 3 foot wide tank they disagree and upgrade their 55 to a 125 which is merely 18 inches wide and call it good. They come to me wondering why their 20 inch long aro jumped out the tank and I'm just dumb founded how stupid some people are.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Well intentional or not I've done it, and probably will do it again sometime along the road. After being in the hobby a long time, there comes a point where you want to keep some thing new and exotic for the challenge or just your holy grail, mother $(56$$ wish fish. Then you realize the fish is boring all day, except for feeding. Or is ultra shy. Or out grew space and incompatible with the other monsters in the bigger tank. Most of us are on limited resources, budget, tank size, and time wise.

That doesn't justify buying a Rtc when you arnt able to house them. But buying 6 fish in hopes of finding a pair, growing out a group of fry to pick the best of batch, these are thing I've done with intentions of rehoming the extra pieces. Eh. To each their own.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
The only time it makes sense to me is when people buy large groups to let them pair up for breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store