Gar needs help

Pred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ca
My new gar has bent back
Hello, this is my first post on here. I just got a 4" florida gar 2 days ago, he seems very healthy and has a good appetite. I didn't think much of it till now but his back is curved, it curved right at the very end of his back near is last 2 fins and tail fin. He still hunts but I can tell it's affecting him. He chills at the top of the water now... Been like this for a day now. This really sucks... I love gars and it took me for ever to even get one in a tank. Mainly I'm worried that he's going to die. Is there anything I can do to help him? By the way the tank is a standard 20gal. (Plan on throwing him in a 150 when he big enough).

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Have any pictures? I'm not going to say it broke its back until I see pics but it is possible. Keep the tank stocked with feeders at his size

Pred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ca
All I know is I got him and put him in the tank. I went to work and when I came home he was like that. I have about 5 feeders in there right now and he seems to be eating

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Gar's backs bend like that in poor water quality, mainly high ammonia, test your water and let us know what you come up with. You can Google gar's back bending die to poor water quality and you will see what I'm talking about. Good luck with your gar.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ca
Just check on the water. PH is 7.6 ammonia is 0ppm and nitrate is 0ppm as well. So all good when the water

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
That's weird then, how long has this tank been running? If everything is fine then it broke its back from running into the glass

Pred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ca
I got this tank the day I got the gar. Tuesday of last week. The only thing I could think of is he got scared and hit the tank. So the qustion is do u think he will live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store