Lima shovel nose cat fish

Cichlid mania

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Colorado springs
I have had my lime for about a month know and he is getting pretty big but still rejects anything but feeder fish and it is becoming to much of a hassle to get them enough and often enough for him to be healthy so I was wondering if you guys had any tips thanks!

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I'd get enough feeders to make one substantial meal every two weeks, offering small amounts of other foods every second day between feeder meals. Once he starts taking other foods you can quit buying feeders. Getting him to take pellet food may be tough but he should take to earthworms or frozen/thawed fish pretty quickly.

Cichlid mania

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Colorado springs
I saw that some people have had luck with shrimp but I will try earthworms and he starves himself he won't even go to the top to check out the pellets or go to the bottom to get the sinking ones is it normal for them to not like pellets or do I just have a stubborn fish?

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Maybe try to fix some food on a fishing line and move it like its alive.
Just make sure it comes of easily when he strikes after it.
This method worked for my Scomberoides and Florida gar.
White mosquito larva allways worked for my juruense and tiginus.
They are floating around and make them go after it.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Keep trying. A healthy fish won't starve itself to death. Your goal right now is to get it to take non living foods and then you can get it on pellets after that. When you throw in feeders, try also throwing in a piece of shrimp or some fish fillet that way it starts associating the food with the scent.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cichlid mania

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Colorado springs
Thanks I will try that But should I stop getting feeders all together until he will eat something else or keep doing feeders but put in some fillet and shrimp with that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store