Gator gar being a gator gar

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Tried adding new fish to my 420 gallon tank,every fish I add he shreds just added nine inch Red devil now he is messed up,he ate my nine inch Jaguar Cichlid.Gator gar is about 28 inched long and very thick,he is in a 420 gallon tank that is seven and half feet long 24 wide 30 tall I have a 20 inch red tail Guarami 16 Inch flag tail 24 inch arow and a 13inch Oscar which the gar nips at so he is getting hole in the head from the stress and a Spiney Gulf soft shell Turtle. Does any one have any Ideas of other fish that can hold there own with Gar? I do not feed live, and feed gar heavy to try to keep aggression down.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Hith is caused by poor diet and water quality not your gar. Sounds like ypu have a lot of big fish in a tank that is almost 300g. Id start thinking about a permanent home for your gar and you may be able to add more fish depending on your filtration

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
You do not know what your talking about my tank is 420 gallons and has a automatic water changer and I do weekly water changes of 75% some fish have hole in the head,and it never comes out until under stress.My water changer does 300 gallons a day

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
90x24x30= 64,800 cubic inches is 280 gallons. I didnt invent math. Do some homework on HITH. It is 1000000000000000% caused by water quality and diet. Ive dealt with it before. Doing over 100% daily wc may be causing issues with your water

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
No need to be agressive guys.

A gator will always be a gator.

I woild not put a turtle in a fish tank that size. Heavy toll on water.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Besides you have 2 fish longer than your tank is wide and more getting close. You have aggression and water issues and want to add more fish? No I wouldnt suggest you add anything

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Just checked and measured my tank its 28 inches wide 90 inches long and 36 inches high,so how many gallons is that? so the gar that I said was 28 is really 33. I never really measured the tank before.I got it used and the guy that I got them from told me they were 420 I got two at the same time and have them set up for nine years I Check my water Quality and PH is at 7.0 all the time.I keep crushed coral in the tank so Ph stays the same all the time and vacuum gravel at least once a week or two at the most if you want to see my filter system and tanks go to the photo lounge and look up check out my two 420 gallon tanks you will see I have two large bead filters that I backwash every week

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406414495.276374.jpg

I also wouldn't add anything more. Gator gars are notorious for terrorizing everything. The only thing that would even have a chance is probably an arapaima but I am in no way suggesting you get 1. Your gar will outgrow that aquarium very soon. If anything it has already outgrown it if it's 33" long.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Tanks for the information Ivan I agree with you it may be time to get rid my gator if he keeps growing at the current rate.He grew about eight inches since I got him about eight months ago that about an Inch a month.He is really put on a lot of girth too,I thought they slow down in growing when the get to be 30 Inches. I hope so I really like the fish a lot and would like to keep it for a few more years

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Decided to sell my Gator this week if your looking for a monster gator gar I have one for you its about 33 inches long and six Inches across very clean and I do not feed any live food asking $500 and needs to be picked up.You will need a 600 or bigger to house him.I live In Long Island

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store