New Sump Tank Need Help

xtremegamer1000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Ok so I just acquired a 125 gallon aquarium that had been running saltwater, and the guy had used a 55 gallon sump tank. I'm new to sump tanks, I've used canisters before. Basically I have a few pictures of the tank setup how he glued the different chambers and I'm just needing help on what goes where (sponges, bio balls if I need them, etc.) So first here's a pic of the tank. Ignore the stuff sitting in it, but I'm guessing on the far right side I put sponges and then it goes through the chambers and on the left in the big opening I out the pump? Should I just use all sponges on the right side or could I do a layer of sponges then bio balls between them in a free format? Just needing some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Wellcome to real filtration....

Where the water falls into the sump you should do mechanic fitration. Have the water fall into a filter socket ( which has to be cleaned regularly ), then put a sponge divider between infalling chamber and the remainder of the sump.

Fill the rest with bio media

Pump to return to tank on the oposite end of sump.

Then you will have to fill the tank and let the sump fill untill you achieve balance.mby balance i mean the water level, in the sump, that does not overflow if power fails.

Have everything ready and circulating and then plug the return pump off. Sump water level will rise untill water in tank reaches a level where it stops falling to the sump.

That is how you find your balanced sump level.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Looks like a pretty blank canvass as far as a sump goes. Basically you need mechanical filtration of some sort then bio filtration of some sort. Common mech media are filter socks or sponges and common bio is ceramic or sintered glass media. Sumps gibe a ton of flexibility but they can be a bit tricky at first just plan for your pump at one end and intake at the other and design based on research. Many ways to build a sump but you will probably want to pick up a few acrylic sheets to make baffles

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store