Can I use tap water for my pleco tank?

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
Hey guys. I'm setting up a pleco tank in my room. Wonder if I can use tap water as the main water source for the tank. Of course I'll use API tap water conditioner. Will it have any effect on my pleco and stuffs?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Divinehammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2012
Sherwood park Alberta Canada
nope will work just fine as long as you use conditioner, mine do quiet well in in plain old tap water.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Hell yeah! That's one of the greatest things about keeping freshwater fish. Anything goes wrong, just open up the tap and change out the water. For a couple weeks, I was seriously researching a saltwater tank and growing coral. The ONE thing that finally turned me off on the idea was NOT being able to use tap water for water changes. I found out you pretty much need an RO filter at your house and need to wait on enough to collect before you can do a water change.....nah, I don't think so.

Cueball703

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2013
NY
I have an InstaPure Water Filter attached to my Kitchen Sink. I use the filtered water for my water changes, and have found that I don't need to add any chemical treatments to the tank. The parameters for my filter water seem to be perfect with my water testing kits. So, the only treatment my water actually gets is from the charcoal and biomax that are placed in my Fluval 406 filter. I do tank cleaning (water cleaning/changes) once a week, and the filter elements once a month. Sometimes I skip 1 week on the tank cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store