Wild Caught vs Captive Bred

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
A few things...

1) What polys are CB these days vs the exclusively wild caught ones

2) Does WC vs CB factor in your decision to get a certain poly?

For me personally, I prefer CB fish in general. I believe that if we can breed them we should stop taking them from the wild. I do understand the appeal of WC fish as they often seem to look better (marking wise) and are larger. Just a personal thing will all fish in general .

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
To be completely honest I am not sure what is and isn't being bred right now theres only a couple I haven't seen CB however I am sure that in some corner of the world it's happened at some point or time. I do would prefer CB fish is they were bred by a fellow hobbyist and not by a larger scale breeder for the money. I have found that the sens and endlis especially the SB and the SSB in todays market are a perfect example of not caring for the fish. They breed them to make money and not for the potential size or health of the fish. However there is not nearly enough hobbyist breeding them to support the hobby so as of right now I am more of a WC person. I understand your viewpoint and how you think, but would rather have more pure fish than what are in the market. Don't get me wrong there are some good sens such as the ones that are reaching 10" recently and endlis that have surpassed expectations, but I just can't stand all the SB and SSB and such that are being bred for looks and not for the well being of the fish.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Nobody will sell wc bichir at this size, cuz there is no substantial for such tiny bichirs
There have been a large number of small black voltas that have been sold recently so I wouldn't nobody would sell them as there seems to be a decent sized market for them currently

plipevangelista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
bauan, batangas, philippines
for me WC are the ideal ones.. there are certain rules for catching at selling WCs.. as long as they are being followed its okay to have WCs.. CBs cant beat a WC in terms of head profile.. But CBs have an edge in terms of markings..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store