A Couple Questions About Resiliconing an Aquarium

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Earlier this week I posted about buying a 125 gallon aquarium that was missing the inside silicone seams. The tank filled up to the top with no leaks and I think the tank is actually pretty promising.

So now I want to silicone the inside with GE 1 Silicone as that seems to be the right stuff to use after I did some reading. The bottom and top of the tank have the silicone, its only the corners that don't have it.

Do I have to cut that silicone out and redo it all together, or can I just silicone the corner seams as it is right now?

Here's some pics of the tank and the inside seams so you can have a better understanding of what I'm working with exactly.

tank.jpeg

tank2.jpeg

tank3.jpeg

dre918

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2012
Mass
I would scrape off all the old silicone and do it all over. There should have been some on the sides. New silicone won't stick to old silicone.
I personally would use Marineland or aqueon silicone. I don't trust any other brands.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
New silicone won't stick to old silicone. Scrape it all out completely leaving none behind and reseal. I did this with my 180 using GE1 and it's been a year with no problems no fish deaths and no funny water readings GE 1 is fine don't get GE 2 it has mold inhibitors

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
It looks to me like someone resealed that tank, and purposely left the sides out. Factory seals do not look messy like that and I've never seen a tank without the vertical seams not sealed. I agree with everyone that you need to remove all the silicone in there and start all over. GE-1 works well, I resealed two tanks with that and never had problems. On a tank that large you'll have to work quick so make sure you have everything planned out well to lessen any delays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Thank you all for your responses. I thought I would have to resilicone everything but wanted to make sure.

I also noticed how it looked reseamed by the previous owner but the silicone between the glass panes still felt soft and looked professionally done. The tank filled up with no leaks so I bought it with the intention to reseam it.

I'm going to use masking tape to keep the silicone lining consistent and straight to give it a better look. Im also going to be having someone help me because, as the last poster said, I'll need to work quick.

If anyone has any siliconing tips or diy videos they could suggest that would be great and I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Many people here will disagree, but dont use GE I or II. Both are sealants, not adhesives. They are designed to keep water out, not hold two items together. Sure, they may hold a tank together for a while, even months or a year or two but it will eventually give out. I've seen it several times on tanks much smaller than this one.

There are a couple brands that are much more solid, one is made by Dow, I cant remember the number off hand. I would go with RTV 108 however. That stuff is solid and wont let go. It's a bit more expensive, about $8 a tube, but that is much cheaper than 125 gallon on your floor. You can get it through Grainger.

Scrape off as much silicone as you can with a razor then use acetone to clean the glass, it will help to get any remaining residue off of the glass. I imagine you know the next part, line up your glass pieces, put down the silicone and put the glass in place. Something this size I would use clamps to hold it, not tape. Once it is siliconed and clamped you can do the corner beads, do not wait for the silicone between the glass to dry, it cannot have filmed over before adding the corner bead or it will not stick. To get it into the corners wet your finger and run it down it, it should give you the nice triangle shape. Pull the tape you are using to keep it neat pretty early in the process, pulling it after it films over will disrupt your seams.

Once all together you want to give it a couple weeks before it sees water. Once again, many people here rush this and add water a day or two later or even that day. Just because the outside of the silicone seems dry does not mean that the inside is. It will be gassing off for several days.

Again man, I really, really would not use GE. Why spend hundreds on fish and equipment then cheap out in one of the areas it matters the most? Many people on here claim success because it has worked for the short term, but in this hobby I prefer to look at those who have had long term results. When it comes to using GE it never ends well.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
So you're planning on tearing the whole thing apart and sealing between the panes, or are you just sealing up the inside?

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
So you're planning on tearing the whole thing apart and sealing between the panes, or are you just sealing up the inside?

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"
I am planning on just sealing the inside. The seam holding the panels together appears OK. I heard that the inside seam is only to protect the silicone between the glass and that's all I'm trying to do.

GE 1 silicone should be ok for this?

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Here's another question....

If im only resealing the inside of the aquarium, is it even worth doing or is it pointless?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store