HITH in sp.leucosticta?

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
My large sp.leucosticta has started sitting on the gravel looking stressed. On closer inspection he has a few craters on his face. The strange thing is he is eating well.

Woul you say this is HITH? If so what are the next steps I should take?
uploadfromtaptalk1406450576383.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406450596945.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406450632992.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406450660497.jpg
Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
looks like its the beginning of hith . Symptoms also appears to be HITH . His belly does look a little suken in. If he eats well that is a sign of hex. I would start treating asap before it gets too bad

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
looks like its the beginning of hith . Symptoms also appears to be HITH . His belly does look a little suken in. If he eats well that is a sign of hex. I would start treating asap before it gets too bad
I have run some meds (waterlife octozin) with some salt and although he is acting normal again there are no signs of the 'holes' clearing up - in fact, today I noticed another hole.

Any recomendations on what I can do next?

I really done want to lose this guy, he is the first fish i ever brought!!

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Do you test your water parameters? This is a sign of prolonged exposure to poor water. Medicating is moot without having very clean water. What size is the tank, how often and to what volume do you change water? Are you overstocked? Hith takes a long time to develop, and longer to clear. Clean water is the best medicine.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Hith can result in bad water perimeters / overstocking or it can be a direct result from hex. In this case I believe it is from hex. I would try treating for hex to see if you have any results. Keep the water clean and if there is another hole you will have to treat the hex aggressively. I would try soaking its food with Epsom salt solution and feed your fish that for 10 days. just to make sure his system is cleaned out .

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
HITH is caused by stress, which can come in many forms including but certainly not limited to poor water conditions. The trigger is stress, the actual pathogen that causes the holes is in many cases Spironucleus vortens aka hexamita. There is a sticky at the top of this page for treating S. vortens, I would start with that seeing as your fish is still eating.

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
I have tested the water and the everything is okay. Nitrates are at 30ppm so a little high but no extreams.

The tank is a 100gal running two externals (a fluval 405 and 406) as well as a powerhead. I do a 40% weekly and feed the fish once some times twice a day. The current stock is quite low - there is himself at 7" and two juvies at 4", a orangeahead at 5" and 4 juvies at 2", 3 angels at 1.5", a green phantom plec at 3" and a few tiny lemon tetra, as you can tell most of the fish in the tank are babies.

He is the biggest fish in a tank with minimal aggression and has endured far worse times in the time that I had him (2 tank moves, fishing other fish out etc). He also done suprisingly well when the tank went through a mini cycle about a year ago so I dont understand why he is doing so badly now when his conditions are pretty good.

One thing I will say that could be part of the issue is that this species is known for being quite susceptible to hole in the head as they get older as they are a soft water species. My water is also quite hard and I also have a Ph of 7.8 which is also high.....im not sure if this could be the reason?

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
You might be interested in reading this past discussion, taking note of what myself, Matt (dogofwar) and Tom (Aquanero) posted in regards to water parameters and how/why they can affect many of the SA species.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?548799-HITH-lATERAL-LINE-DISEASE-IN-CICHLA
Thanks that was a very good read. There are two things that keep croping up when researching HITH and that is diet and clean water. Now I dont consider my water to be an issue (other than being a little on the hard side) but the diet may not be the best - I tend to feed a fair amount of frozen inc bloodworm. I think I need to brush up on the diet front and also try soaking foods in epsom salt to try rid the fish of hex.

Where can I get epson salt from as I only have aquarium salt readily available?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store