Thinking Of Trying Salty

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Got 5 FW tanks set up with my 6th (260 gal) being delivered in September. Thinking of trying my first saltwater tank, really want to set up a smaller tank just for a pair of Clowns. What size tank would be suitable? Would like to have anemones in the tank, are these difficult to keep? What equipment would I need for this tank? Any ideas on cost of setup (UK)? I have plenty of experience with FW but i'm completely new to SW. Cheers :D

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Depends on the type of clowns you want but you'll be safe if you go with a 29g. Depending on te anemone some are easier to keep than others but stay away from condylactis cuz clowns do not live in the same environment and condy's have been known to eat clowns. All you really need equipment wise is a heater, skimmer, powerhead and some sort of reef ready light. I personally like LEDs but you can go with t5's. Just don't use the normal strip lights. Also it is recommended to go with about 1lb of live rock per gallon and 1lb of sand per gallon. Also since you're just starting, I'd also stay away from carpets except maxi mini's. Carpets require brighter lighting and majority of them get pretty big.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Saltwater is very easy to buy used. I don't know about your specific country / area though. The "biocube" saltwater starter kits are very common around here, and you can get a really really good deal on them used.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I'll go against the grain on this one! Small tanks are hard to keep stable chemistry wise, I usually would recommend a 75 for a first timer. Given your experience maybe a 40 breeder would work for you, I would start out no smaller. Also a sump helps increase volume and provides stability, as well as a way to hide heaters and the skimmer, and some of the rock if you want a minimalist look in the tank. Agree that heaters (use 2 of half the required wattage instead of one large one), skimmer, powerheads and lights are what you need. I also subscribe to the pound per gallon rock guideline, make your sand less than an inch or over 3 inches IMO. Lastly don't put nems in a new tank, I would wait 12 months personally. Bubble tips are a nice first nem to try, but be aware that many clowns, especially when captive bred, will show no interest in living in any anemone. Good luck and keep us posted!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store