Cryptoheros Nannoluteus biotope

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
When they get out of quarentine my Nannos will be the only cichlid (and only non-Asian fish) in my Asian loach tank, but I hope to replace them with Pearl Chromides at some point. If/when I do that, I like the Nannos so much I am interested in setting up a small tank for a group of them. Other than livebearers, are there any good fish that could go in the Panamanian biotope with Cryptoheros Nannoluteus? Obviously they would have to be very peaceful toward them, since the Nannos are easily intimidated. I think most of the other Crypto species, or other bigger cichlids would be too aggressive, but maybe a group of Nannos could be kept with a single specimen of some other cichlid species that wouldn't seem them as competition and would leave them alone. Anything that would work? Any other non-cichlid fish that would go well in a Panama biotope?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Jeff Rapps has some Costa Rican liverbearers for sale now. Two kinds of Mollies and a third closely related one.

I would opt for those and would recommend a hardy live bearer that gets at least 2.5 inches in lenghth for both Male and Female.

Jeff also has costa rican Astyanax tetras that you could use but they will eat any Nano fry if you breed them.

I wouldn't mix any other cichlids since Nano's are pretty placid and other Cryptoheros will be more aggressive. Thorichthys wouldn't be biotope correct, and any larger cichlids will be too much for the Nano's to handle.

I like where you're going with this as Nanoluteus are one of my favorites and they are threatened in the wild. Please keep them going for us!

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
If you got a single species of another cichlid, get a single Astatheros or an Archocentrus Cetrarchus. Stay away from Parachromis, Amphilophus, Amatitliana, or Cryptoheros. I'd shy away from Nicaraguense as well unless you luck out and find a good female that isn't too pushy.

If you go Astatheros, try Alfari, Altifrons, or Rostratum.

Americancichlids.net has Rostratum and Dan @ Cichlidsoftheamericas will have them soon as well.
Jeff Rapps at Tangledupincichlids.com has Centrarchus.
Wetspot has Nanoluteus.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks for the feedback! I don't think rostratus are from Panama, but I do like them a lot... Altifrons are though. What about keeping a single 'Geophagus' crassilabris with the Nanos? I know they (esp males) are aggressive to each other, but would a single one bother the little guys? I have a 'Geo' steindachneri (want to get him some pals, but he was alone at the LFS) and he doesn't bother anyone, he just messes around in the sand all day. But they are not known for being as aggressive as Crassis either.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I haven't kept crassilabris to know but I would say that from my experience with red humps, no real pair bonds form. More of a wham bam thank you mam with aggression aimed at other males and females who aren't ready.

Try it and see.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Everyone mentioned the best options. For a non-cichlid try astyanax aureus Jeff has now. They are beautiful and active. Keep them in schools. I have astyanax bimaculatus which are from Panama down through all of SA. They are about 6" full grown.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store