Super Red Texas Cichlid

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
Hello MFK community,

I have been fascinated with SRT and always see low grade ones in local shops and have been doing extensive reading on line-breeding, and different fish used to result in different looking, and quality of fish produced. I hear the best route is to get a female Red Mammon and Male Green Texas. I have a connection who has Mammons that are imported from a farm in Taiwan and am able to get my hands on a 3" egg laying fertile female. Is there anybody out there that has successfully bred high quality SRT? If so, should I definitely go with the (F) Red Mammon x (M) Carpnitis? Or go with a (F) Red Devil? I'm leaning towards the Mammon but I'm no expert on breeding these fish and would love to hear feedback, stories, advice, or anything one would care to share with me. And I'm not even interested in a profit off of these I am just looking to create something beautiful for my fish tank. Sorry for the longevity, if you read this thank you for your time.

Anthony

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Carpintis is not really a Texas at all. H.Cyannoguttatus is the true Texas cichlid. The "what is a RedTex" thing is an ongoing pile of different opinions, and being a hybrid, it could be lots of things. My idea is a male Cyanno and a female Festae offspring. I have one of these creations, meanest fish I have ever owned. Very pretty girl though.

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
Carpintis is not really a Texas at all. H.Cyannoguttatus is the true Texas cichlid. The "what is a RedTex" thing is an ongoing pile of different opinions, and being a hybrid, it could be lots of things. My idea is a male Cyanno and a female Festae offspring. I have one of these creations, meanest fish I have ever owned. Very pretty girl though.
Yes I am aware of the two different species but H. Carpintis is called a green Texas cichlid, and I was speaking with a Flowerhorn/SRT breeder from the website flowerhorns r us and he had some sweet looking SRT using Mammon/Carpintis, others with Labiatus/Carpintis, and some with Citrinellus/Carpintis. And the last two had too much of an Amphilophus frame to it, I'm looking for more of a Texas frame with an intense red opposed to the orange you would get from Labiatus/Citrinellus. Do you have any pics of the Cyanno/Festae? I would really love to see it.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Have you checked out the Hybrid Sub-Forum under Central/South American Cichlids here? There are plenty of threads on members Red Tex breeding projects. Many are using Carpintis as foundation stock over the Cyanno because of the more "wormy" pearling. My opinion is start with with the parent stock that has the traits that you like most (body shape, pearling, finnage, color) and go from there. It may take a good bit of line breeding and culling to create your masterpiece the way you want it. I have heard of many species used in Red Tex breeding projects - go for it the way you want.

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
I'm fairly new to the forum and haven't really explored just saw the breeding sticky. But thanks for the tips man I'll go check the other part of the forum out. I think today is the day I introduce the male Carpintis to the female Mammon wish me luck! Lol

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Cool...be sure to take plenty of pics so you can document the progress for us...Good Luck!

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
I tried to upload a pic from my iPhone not sure if I'm doing it right. However I started a new thread asking a few questions because my female mammon laid eggs tonight but I brought carptinis over (she is at my dads and I brought him over within 15 mins)

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store