Vieja Guttulatus, Coatzacoalcos, and Zonatus

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I know there is some disagreement over these species classification, and how they are related, but what specifically are the difference between the three in terms of temperament/aggression, looks, and adult size?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It has been suggested that guttalatus and zonatus could be simply location/color variants of the same species, much in the same way melanurus and synspilla are.
Or it may be that the geographic separation of certain populations, is allowing the evolution or formation of a number of new species from a single ancestor.
Much in the same way that Herichthys carpintus, and Herichthys tamasopoensis, although until recently thought to be location variants of the same species, have now become separated into 2.
I guess it depends on whether you are a lumper, or splitter.
Beyond the taxonomic question, I have kept and spawned zonatus, and found them to be exceedingly beautiful, but one of the most aggressive Vieja/Paraneetroplus(?) with any other cichlid, For me, they seem to best be kept, in a very large, species only tank.
Herichthys tamasopoensis

Herichthys carpintus location "chairel"

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok, thanks! So Gut. and Coat. may or may not be different species, but they are distinct from Zonatus. What size and aggession level are they? I have read less than Zonatus, but that apparently doesnt mean much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store