Problem w/ 3D back ground

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I have a 150g w/ a designs by nature back ground and it has been great for years. I have it cut into sections and the mid section has bowed out so badly. I wish I did it right by sealing instead of just wedging it in there.
I took out that and another section because it was trapping a lot of waste. Any suggestions on how I can fix the bowing? Is it ruined now?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have the same problem, and took the background out because of the same trapped waste, and the occasional fish that would die and get stuck. I also don't like how thick it is in some places, where it really takes up a lot of space.
My plan, though I haven't tried it yet, is I'm considering "shaving off" some of the excess (and there seems to be plenty), and then reinstalling a thinner version of what's left, as flush against the back wall as possible to eliminate the gaps.
Just a theory so far, but I am going to try it in the next couple weeks, and will post success or failure, as things progress.
I just picked up a mirror back 130gal for peanuts, I'm not a fan of mirror back tanks, so this is the time to try.
I'm hoping to remove about 4" of thickness in some areas from the background, without breaking threw if posssible.
And smearing loads of silicone to the tank back, to get the thinner version to adhere tightly to the glass.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks Duane! That is a great idea. I was thinking originally of taking it out and putting weights on it in hopes that it will flatten out. I'm not 100% sure that would work. I also had water bubbles in the back of background. I popped them so it could dry out.
My background is about 1-2" thick. I like yours by the way.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks Duane! That is a great idea. I was thinking originally of taking it out and putting weights on it in hopes that it will flatten out. I'm not 100% sure that would work. I also had water bubbles in the back of background. I popped them so it could dry out.
My background is about 1-2" thick. I like yours by the way.

Bump for a question.

I have weights on the background and hoping it will stiffen out when dry. Then do some shaving like Duane said. I would like to do this right and remove water, the sand, fish and décor to use aqueon sealant. The fish will have to be kept in rubber/plastic containers in while I wait for the seal to dry. How long would you say it should take and if this is a good idea? Think this will work?

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
Bump for a question.

I have weights on the background and hoping it will stiffen out when dry. Then do some shaving like Duane said. I would like to do this right and remove water, the sand, fish and décor to use aqueon sealant. The fish will have to be kept in rubber/plastic containers in while I wait for the seal to dry. How long would you say it should take and if this is a good idea? Think this will work?
I think that's an excellent idea (weights on background and emptying tank). I would use black GE I silicone from HD and give it at least 24 hours to dry. You've done all that work no reason to half ass it now. ;)

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I think that's an excellent idea (weights on background and emptying tank). I would use black GE I silicone from HD and give it at least 24 hours to dry. You've done all that work no reason to half ass it now. ;)
Thanks yeah lesson learned on this one. The background bowed because it was wedged in. Is the GE I stronger? Hope my fish do ok in the rubber made bins. My 25g is flawless.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
GE 1 I believe is the same thing at a fraction of the price. Fish should be fine. I have left my fish in makeshift tanks for weeks at a time with no problem. Try and use existing filters, heater and your good to go. I always use these times to re-aquascape and fix things I was to lazy to get to before. GL

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
GE 1 I believe is the same thing at a fraction of the price. Fish should be fine. I have left my fish in makeshift tanks for weeks at a time with no problem. Try and use existing filters, heater and your good to go. I always use these times to re-aquascape and fix things I was to lazy to get to before. GL
Thanks! I'll post pics of its current state soon :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store