Bumblebee Oscar Help

mcdebs07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
Philippines
Hi guys,

I recently acquired a juvenile bumblee oscar. He's in a standard 75 gallon tank with a 2 inch convict and an African syno catfish.
However, upon release from the bag, he just sunk into the bottom of the tank and hasn't moved a muscle since. (It's been 6 hours)
My previous experience with O's is that they settle into their new environment quite rapidly. However, this one is an exception.

My tank is filtered by 2x eheim 2217.

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

Is this normal for bumblee oscars?
I've had reds and tigers who were devouring pellets 10 minutes upon arrival..

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
My recent juvis did the same thing but within 24 hours they were up at the surface "begging" for food!

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Leave him alone and he will come around not unusual for an Oscar to sulk for a week or more.
Agreed with this. Plus since its bumblebee maybe wild caught? So they may be more shy then a captive bred oscar who comes from generations of tank fish

mcdebs07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
Philippines
Hi, just an update.

I happened to tap the glass and it spooked him out. Now he's even more reclusive and he just retreats into his cave.
How do I get him to interact, feed or just even swim around the tank???

Perhaps the glass tap had a traumatic experience on the poor guy? If so, any chance he recovers from it and act like the good old oscar fish we all love?
Thanks!!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Congrats on the bb o your gonna love him... I have one and it actually took a month for him to come around. He constantly beat himself up, spooked easily and was a complete mess... once he came around though things got fun he attacks the glass when someone touches it. Just be patient and try and leave the lights off. Probably an f1 like mine... I figured that may have to do with why it took so long but who knows.

He actually started biting me when I mess around in the tank. Will try and post a vid of him to give you an idea of what yours will turn into.... dont worry its worth all the drama

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mcdebs07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
Philippines
Congrats on the bb o your gonna love him... I have one and it actually took a month for him to come around. He constantly beat himself up, spooked easily and was a complete mess... once he came around though things got fun he attacks the glass when someone touches it. Just be patient and try and leave the lights off. Probably an f1 like mine... I figured that may have to do with why it took so long but who knows.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It took yours a month? I just find my oscar's behavior to be unusual considering my previous O's took only less than 30 min to come around. LOL
But it gives me some piece of mind knowing that I'm not the only one who had this sort of experience. Thank you!!

BTW, i Have a noob question. What's an F1? :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store