Discord the Betta

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
I thought I should make a thread for Discord as well, seeing as he came before Frosty. Feel free to skip all the text, I just felt like talking about him.

He was my first fish that I've kept properly..semi-properly. I did not cycle his tank before adding him so we went through that together. I had gone away when the nitrite spiked up and he got ich but he recovered!

I met him at wal-mart. I always go to the fish section even though I shouldn't. I knew my tanks weren't cycled yet (empty 55g and a 20g long that hadn't finished heating up to the right temperature, also empty).
I saw him and I had never seen such a beautiful betta before, especially at wal-mart. I squee'd over him turning his cup about to get a better look, then very sadly put him down and walked away.

My dad and I managed to get around 30 feet away before I couldn't take it any more and asked if we could please take him home. Of course he said yes so Discord got to ride around in the buggy (covered by a sheet so he wouldn't get stressed) until we checked out.

Since the 20 long had not reached a warm enough temperature..I put him in our 55g. It was lots of fun seeing him go all over the place. Every time I went over to look he was getting into something else. He went into our dragon bubbler's mouth at one point.
Unfortunately I did not get any pics of him in the 55g, or at least if I did I can't find them now. Going to post pics from when his tank was first set up and to what he's in now :)

Before this his only tankmates were two mystery snails. I rescaped the tank and added 15 habrosus cories.

In the above picture which looks rather sad, there was only one cory left. They had all steadily kept dropping over a span of a few months. Discord never went near them so I'm not sure what it was.

I added sterbai cories with him which I didn't put pictures of, and they have all been fine. I suppose the smaller cories were just too delicate or I had terrible luck.

Unfortunately Discord discovered I give food to the snails and sterbai cories. He got extremely bloated with me not realizing this, and eventually pineconed.

I added epsom salt and fasted him and after a month or so he is now mostly normal and doing well. His fins do look a little tatty but I'm not sure if that is his age or just what he's gone through. I was able to catch him in a net and let the cories and snails eat and release them after he finished his food but I'd rather not have to stress them out every day with this. He's now in his own 10g tank and I will never put bettas with tankmates again to avoid this issue.

When I had the tower in the middle of the 20 long and had cories, he seemed to stop using it. He is now using it again in this 10g tank and I'm so happy :3

Thanks for reading :)

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
You just brought a betta back from the brink of death by organ failure. Props for reversing dropsy. Keep up the good work.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
You just brought a betta back from the brink of death by organ failure. Props for reversing dropsy. Keep up the good work.
I am glad I noticed it when I did, though I think I could have noticed sooner. Also happy I had a friend who is experienced with bettas to tell me how much epsom salt to use. I'm really just glad my buddy is alive though! Thank you :)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
good job, that tank takes me back... im all natural now but the kwerkiness of watching a fish use a little castle is starngly appealing again after seeing this!-)

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
good job, that tank takes me back... im all natural now but the kwerkiness of watching a fish use a little castle is starngly appealing again after seeing this!-)
Thank you :) I can't resist oriental decor unfortunately! My biggest tank is natural at least though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store