JD really doesn't like Mayan

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
So I recently got a hold of a nice sized Mayan cichlid (7-8 inches). Now in my tank I have a Jaguar as well as a Red Devil, both of which couldn't care less about the new fish. They all ignore each other. However, my JD that's in there with them hates the new guy in the tank and does nothing but chase him into the corner where I have a small breeding pair of convicts. So even more chasing ensues until he goes away from their corner. It's a vicious circle. So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to curb my JDs new thirst for Mayan blood? I really like this new guy and would like him living as peacefully in the tank as everyone else does. Any thoughts appreciated!

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Well they are natural competitors in the wild, and I have seen them fight in Mexico. Both can be very aggressive. How big is the JD? Mine was very peaceful with other CAs until he hit 8''+ and almost killed my larger female robertsoni who used to torment him. What size tank is this? Do you have a lot of hiding spots? Is the Mayan very stressed? I would worry the Mayan would lose this one and might have to be separated. It sounds like the JD is only focused on that Mayan, which is not good. I have never had success in keeping CA cichlids together in situations like this unfortunately.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although (as cichlidfish said) they inhabit the same area, they seem to like different habitat. In cenote Cristallino, it's all JDs, but only a short distance away in Cenote Azul, its almost all uropthalmus.
When I have found them together, in a small satellite mini-cenote in between Cristallino and Azul, the uros tend to be in open water, while the a JD pair or trio will defend a 4 X 4ft cavelike area of about 250 gallons.
click on pic to start video

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
Thanks for the replies everyone. Well the tank is a 6ft 150 gallon, although if everything goes how I want it I should be upgrading to a 250 by the end of this year. I've put more than enough hiding spots in the tank so that everyone can have their own caves and then some. The Dempsey is about 5.5-6", so hes a bit smaller than the Uro. I just can't believe that considering my stock, the one that would be causing problems is the Dempsey.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks for the replies everyone. Well the tank is a 6ft 150 gallon, although if everything goes how I want it I should be upgrading to a 250 by the end of this year. I've put more than enough hiding spots in the tank so that everyone can have their own caves and then some. The Dempsey is about 5.5-6", so hes a bit smaller than the Uro. I just can't believe that considering my stock, the one that would be causing problems is the Dempsey.
I agree. It happens though. Are the others the same size? It's all up to the individual fish I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
what sex JD? females can be little turds if around males, wither JD males or not.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
The JD is a male while the Jag and the Devil are females. The two girls are slightly smaller than the JD. But just to play it safe since I really don't want to risk the life of the Mayan, I rehomed it to my little brothers tank and it seems pretty happy in there. Nobody seems to be bothering it in there aside from his weird Tilapia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store