Tank Breaking/Coming Apart?

sharkfan13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2011
Nodak
I recently tore down my 55 gallon to move, but I was planning on storing it until I can use it again. However, I noticed one of the corners seems to be different than the others. The pictures will probably make it easier to see the issue than me trying to explain this. The crack has been there for over a year now with no apparent problems. However, I noticed the silicone seems to have bubbled up in places, and that's definitely a new development. Does this mean that seam is coming apart? I can't tell if this is something I should worry about or not. Figured asking experts is easier than finding 55 gallons on the floor later!

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
The tank is empty now?

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Weird. Ive never seen silcone make bubbles like that.

It only bubbled up after you emptied it?

signature

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
can not tell if in the bead or not. 55g tanks cheap from pet smart, petco. last pic looks between the panes and not in the bead. if that's the case its a leak looking to happen.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
can not tell if in the bead or not. 55g tanks cheap from pet smart, petco. last pic looks between the panes and not in the bead. if that's the case its a leak looking to happen.
+1

signature

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
For sale: 55 gallon reptile aquarium
:thumbup:

signature

sharkfan13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2011
Nodak
As far as I can tell the bubbles happened after I emptied it, but for all I know it might have been there for awhile when the tank was full and I just never noticed. I had a feeling it was looking like a potential leak, so I'll probably just chuck it and buy a new one when I decide to set something up again. Thanks!

On a side note, this tank has been a brat! Haha I already had to replace the top once (broken center bar). Probably a good thing I noticed this!

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
I was just going to ask about the center brace too. The bowing of the glass could have stressed the seams

signature

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store