Bugs in aquarium?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
So i visited my local aquarium recently and looked at the one of the exhibits they had which was a surinam toad exhibit and with a closer look at the substrate i noticed these little bugs scurrying around the substrate, they kinda look like freshwater scuds but im not sure if they are, and i really curious what they are and was wondering if they have any maintenance jobs eating excess food, keep the water cleaner and if they do does anyone know how i can get them in my aquarium?

ill attach a pic of the exhibit and a close up of one of the bugs i think caught on camera but its not clear, they were dark brown and a grayish black, im thinking their scuds but maybe some people here have them or know what they are.
here is the exhibit and the frog!

frog.jpg

and a close up from the picture above
bug close up.jpg

thanks!!

frog.jpg

bug close up.jpg

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
lol forgot to point it out, but the bug thing is on the green leaf to the right the little brown thing, or i think that's the bug

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Hard to tell what it is from the picture. If it is a grammarus, they do eat dead plant material and algae. Problem with them in aquariums is that most larger fish eat them.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Hard to tell what it is from the picture. If it is a grammarus, they do eat dead plant material and algae. Problem with them in aquariums is that most larger fish eat them.
Oh I see, would it be possible to be able to create hiding places in an aquarium and have like a breeding colony of them to produce food for my other fish?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store