Bichir info needed

madjester101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2012
Amarillo TX
So I have an ornate who has lost his color. When I got him he was very dark with bright yellow spots. Kept him in my 40 till I got my 125 up and running. When I moved him to larger tank he lost most of his color. I cycled tank water is good tank mates are fine delhezi didn't lose color. Del looks better then ever. There both only about 5 inches. I did my research but couldn't find any good info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
Possibly stress from the move. Substrate color also can change it's color as well.

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
Substrate can cause drastic changes in colors for bichirs that would be a guess of to what has happened.

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
If it's acting normal and, eating as it should then it's probably fine. Still could be also stressed when did you move it into the tank?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Should be fine and if he is still stressed it shouldn't be too long before he settles in. Like others have said substrate can and most likely in your case has affected the intensity of the ornate's black. I have first hand seen it in almost all bichirs. From white, to black, to garnet. Substrate seems like just something you put in to make the tank look pretty, but for bichirs is a factor of how you want them to look. That's what I like because they are one of the few fish you have a say in what they look like

silly_xp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Byram, NJ
Of all the bichirs I've owned and or seen the ornate deffinatly losses the most color with stress or a bright substrate in my opinion but as long as he is eating he will regain his color in time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store