thoughts on emperor 400s?

Jaws Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
I had two Emperor 400's on my 120 gallon for 6 years with no problems, I just switch them out for 2 AC110's. The AC's are not as noisy, and easier and cheaper to clean. However the body of the Emperor is far superior to the AC.

I also have a Penguin 200 on a 29 gallon and it does a great job and is quite. You did not mention what size aquarium you have, But if you like the Marineland you may want to take a look at the Penguin 350.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've got two on my 75 gallon with a xp4 and the tank is crystal clear.
Lol,I guess it would be with all of that filtration on that size tank...I've used them for years despite the slight hassle with getting them re started after unplugging for a water change or whatever.I've always been impressed with the bio wheels which is probably what's kept me from trying a 110.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I've used them for years despite the slight hassle with getting them re started after unplugging for a water change or whatever.I've always been impressed with the bio wheels which is probably what's kept me from trying a 110.
Exact same thing I was gonna say

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I swapped mine out a couple years ago after trying an Aquaclear. ACs are just about unbeatable in my mind - cost, ease of maintenance & restart are two big selling points. I also felt like they have a stronger flow rate and were far less noisy. Like Jaws Fan said though the plastic of the housing is not as thick as emperors so just be gentle moving them and you're fine.

Those stupid filter pads emperor uses are also a draw back. They get gunked up quickly and the flow rate drops, not to mention they use carbon still for some reason. AC media - sponges & ceramic noodles - come free with the filter. I'm going on 3 years now without having to replace a sponge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store