Blind Salvini

hornetica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
romania
Hello.I have a hybrid salvini thats seems to be blind for a month or so.I thought i was crazy cause he was eating so far.It's like he was waiting for the food when the food was already there.After spawning with a fh female i had to move him in an uncycled tank because of the fry.There were getting through the divider and eating them.Now he's in 100 l and not eating at all.Poking the water around the food,poking the filter.He seems kinda down after spawning also before i moved him,stayes most of the time at the bottom of the tank.
His eyes look fine to me and the body.He only has ambiental light only turning it on when checking them I'll upload some recent pictures.Thank you and please help.
DSC_0032.JPGDSC_0038.JPGDSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

hornetica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
romania
Please anyone!!!!.He kept banging on the walls the rocks he seems like in agony..now his eyes turned cloudy in some areas.Schould i terminate him?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
He's pretty washed out . I would recommend testing your water conditions . GIve it a 30 % water change and keep that up with prime and replace aquarium salt every few days. I don't think the tank is cycled

hornetica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
romania
I did the tests last night.
cl-o
ph- here is variable cause cant seem to find the exact match its between 7.2 and 8.0(more pink)
kh-6d
gh- 8d
no3-10
no2-1

I also added FMC from dajana.Was deperate and the guy from the pet shop told me it might work..but no improvements so far.How much salt do i add to 180 liters?What kind of salt and should i remove the other fish from the tank..i also have a labiatus in there.Thank you

hornetica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
romania
What do u think it might be?The problems started a month or 2 before i moved him but nothing to obvious.Should i treat with general antibiotics?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
you can pick up aquarium salt from your lfs . You add one teaspoon per 5 gallons . So 20 litres . What are your water temps ? I kept salvini's at around 80 F . He could just be a little stressed out from moving around and need a few days . I would treat with something for parasites just to be on the safe side. Watch the labs for over aggression on the salvini . That can also tend to happen. The lab will be ok in the tank with the small aquarium salt treatment.

hornetica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
romania
Thanks a lot.Already added salt.The lab seems to be displaying one symptom..not eating although he can see.The salvini started eating again a few days after adding fmc from dajana but he's still partially blind,cant tell the distance and he struggles catching the food.Maybe the uncycled tank made it worse but still got to figure out why he lost his eyesight in the first place.Worried that the fry and female might get it too .
Thought about parasites too,just to clear that out but have no idea what kind of medication is best to cover most of them.Any clues?
My tank temperature is 82.4..no AC to cool it down:( Also added some 4 big shells to the tank to raise the ph a bit.
Thanks a lot again for your help.

hornetica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
romania
Are the fins and body supposed to be goldish?i see a fine gold film.Not like the velvet disease,that looks like gold dust.Could it be velvet?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I would use metro ( Metronidazole) as per the instructions on the bottle for parasites. There is a sticky note that is very useful for treating for parasites . Salvini's are delicate when it comes to stress I have noticed. 82 isn't bad but it is a tad high. Use cold water when you do water changes and it will lower the temp a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store