small african predatory catfish that won't eat a fish over 3"?

YOGI BEAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Scotland
are there any? i have thought about the ornate bagrid but it seems it can eat something larger, and also the shoulderspot catfish and the dwarf giraffe catfish but im really not sure if they are predatory or not?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Aluminum catfish can be looked at http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=153#398 as you mentioned Chrysichthys ornatus already. I have a few. Despite their mouth being absolutely enormous for their size, mine one-footers have never taken even 2"-3" defenseless koi. As PCF says: "Compatibility: It is not recommended that the aquarist keep these catfish in a community aquarium due to their predatory nature..."

The common aluminum cat Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus appears less predatory. Mine were very peaceful. Still PCF says: "Omnivorous, feeds on seeds, insects, bivalves and detritus. Feeding becomes specialized with age and size, larger fish may feed on decapods and fish."

I came across several (surprising to me) reports of g-cats preying on tankmates.

What's wrong with synos?

YOGI BEAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Scotland
i thought the aluminium cats got rather large? and i have found clarias buettikoferi which seems to fit the bill thanks for your help and hmm may still consider the g-cat and already have a syno in the tank wanted something different

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If you mean g-cats other than Auchenoglanis then they should be fine. They are very peaceful. The surprising (to me) reports I mentioned were on Auchenoglanis.

As for the Aluminum cats sizes, mine two supposedly Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus are 5+ years old and have been 12" for the last 3 years. IDK about others in the family I linked above, except ornatus. Mine three are again not exceeding 12", same age, same growth.

You can filter the entire Cat-eLog on PCF by size and then browse the selection to see which ones are Africans and which ones of them you like and they suit your tank etc.

If walking cats are legal in Scotland, then there is a plethora of smaller ones too to consider. It's a big family.

YOGI BEAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Scotland
have been looking into sourcing the clarias i believe they are legal but finding small species may be difficult

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From reading, it sounds true. Clarias batrachus is by far and large the main player. I've seen Ben (aka Amiidae, the owner of PFK - Predatory Fish Keepers forum) obtain a lot of the small walking cats of other genus or species and post them for ID on PCF. You can ask him. Or surely can ask Neil from Pier Aquatics.

You are not close to either, I understand, but Pier ships, I think, and Ben who lives in Singapore knows lots of in and outs. Guys from ScotCat should be helpful too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store