Mayan cichlid water requirements?

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
I purchased a 1.5" mayan being sold as a red terror at Petco and after doing some research I am confused on what water requirements will bring out its best color and boost longevity. Such as should it live in freshwater or brackish?

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Mayans are one of the few species of cichlids that can tolerate full marine environments. However, they are still a CA cichlid so a pH of 7.5 or so would be good. As far as salinity goes, I'm sure if you give them good nutrition and frequent water changes they will look their best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
A very durable fish that tolerates a wide range of water conditions. I have kept them in both hard and soft water and find them an easy keeper, but as MTBjake said, keep it clean for best results. Fast grower too.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I keep mine in pure fresh...but like already mentioned, just make sure to keep the water clean. Here are some pics of my Mayan showing nice colors... Funny thing is that he actually looks better than my two juvenile Festaes.... Great fish

Mayan 1.jpgMayan 2.jpgMayan 3.jpgMayan 4.jpgMayan 5.jpgMayan 6.jpgMayan and Festae.jpg

Mayan 1.jpg

Mayan 2.jpg

Mayan 3.jpg

Mayan 4.jpg

Mayan 5.jpg

Mayan 6.jpg

Mayan and Festae.jpg

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Rmkblades Beautiful fish! Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experience with this beautiful fish! I was hoping to do freshwater but I was willing to do brackish to bring out the best color. I am currently doing close to 75% water change once a week in a 75 gallon tank. He or she has a very red anal fin and red trim on the dorsal hopefully it will turn out as nice as Rmkblades!

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Why are there some with multiple spots like fishfanatics compaired to rmkblades with only the caudel fin spot? Location varients?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store