Northern NJ
Just curious, why not real plants?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bhfautsch

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2013
Iowa
Well I would love real plants but I don't really know where to start and not sure I'm ready to make the jump. Do they take a lot of time and money investment?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
That truly depends on how into a pt you get. Warning, its Addictive :)

Since you're planning on Angelfish, you'll be spending a lot of time and effort keeping the water very clean. There's a great variety of plants available for beginners. I'd still consider myself a beginner with pts. Its been a year since my first pt. And now 3 of my 5 tanks have plants. There's a wealth of knowledge available to you right here and on other forums as well. How about telling us the size of your tank, water parameters, lighting, etc as a start?

bhfautsch

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2013
Iowa
It's a 55 gal with a marineland single bright led light (4 ft.). I test the water regularly to make sure it's ok for the fish in terms of nitrates, amonia, and such but not sure of the ph levels. The water in my town is very good for cichlids in general so I don't pay much attention to ph. Is that important with plants?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
PH isn't necessarily important for the plants, unless your setting up a serious pt. I'm thinking there are plenty of easily grown plants that will do fine with your lights.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Single bright led wont grow really anything. Java fern just kinda didnt die but anubias and crypts didnt survive in my old tank with the same fixture. Even marimo balls turned brown n ugly. It uses .06w leds(144 x .06= under 9w total) which are ok to view fish but nearly useless for live plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store