240 Gallon Pleco Tank

Textile

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
MD
PLECOS!

I really blame my father for this... i had a common in a small 10g as a kid... i feel bad for the guy now.... thank fully he passed due to a horrible ich attack, before he outgrew that tank. Ever since then though iv had the bug... About 2 years back i started my own tanks and have slowly been collecting fish ever since. Now due to them growing, and the fact I just bought a house a year ago, its time to give my babies a new home.
Stock list
L240 "Galaxy pleco"
L128 "Blue Phantom"
L265 "Sultan"
Common
Bushy nose
L91 "3 beacon pleco"
L155 "spotted Adonis"
L235 "flying pleco"
Small school of cardinal tetras
Small school of Rummynose Tetras
1 adult red tail shark
1 BGK (9in and growing fast, though pretty peaceful)
1 chocolate gourami
1 golden ram
1 Perl gourami
1 Chinese algae eater (he was a mistake, and grew way to fast)
I have a school of 20+ cory cats of various types. Mostly false Julie as i have a pair that decided to breed and I only lost 2 of the babies.
Small school of harlequin
2 x yoyo loaches

Needless to say i have a ton of fish currently spanned over a few tanks. My bio load is massive and I clean weekly so its not a big deal all tanks are 0/0.
I have also decided to brace my floor for the tank and had 2 I beams installed (tank is over my renters bed) which ensure the floor can handle twice what the tank will weigh. (upgrades in future perhaps? :headbang2)
Decided to go on a 240 from glasscages.com. Any one know if the starphire glass is worth it? I worry the tannins will make the nicer glass moot. I already have some large drift wood pieces and ill be getting more. The Plecos love it.
Plan is to go with a drilled tank and their stand/top, along with their 65 gallon sump.
Ranco temp controller with 2x 300w jagers (there will be a computer backup to alarm if things get too low or high)
I have yet to decide on lighting yet, but my plan is to computer control it. I am open to suggestions

I am still not decided on what pump to go with... i figured id use a submersed one. I am thinking 8x to 10x turn over.

I am new to sump design, with the overflow at the top, and the water returned to the top, how do ensure the bottom of the tank gets turned over.. power heads? sorry new to sump setups used to HOB setups...

As for filtering, going to use some socks, carbon bags, and filter floss, and either bio media for a canister or bio balls. (suggestions of better here as well please)

I am also thinking ill try some live plants in the sump to help with nitrates. Id love to do them in the tank but the pelcos seem to love ripping them up.

Have I missed anything? Gone overkill? I love my fish, so i just want them to live long healthy lives.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store