Can I feed S/A cichlids red worms everyday?

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Hello all I was just curious if I can feed my cichlids red worms everyday or if for some reason I shouldn't. One reason I ask is my tire track eel eats them everyday and the cichlids usually eat a couple a piece while my eel eats. Is this going to be a problem? They still eat pellets in the morning and flakes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Once you remove the water content (85%), Red worms are 15% fat. I think that's excessive as a rule. Over the long term, I wouldn't want them eating just one food daily, especially a food like that. Sometimes it's needed for a short period, but I assume from your post that you are asking about long term.

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Yea I'm wondering if a worm a day is too much like I said it's not the only food they eat they eat pellets nd flakes in the morning but when I feed my tire track eel at night( I was told to did him red worms) the cichlids eat them as well. At the moment I feed 2 times a day 6 days a week. Mornings is pellets and flakes night has been worms laitly cause of eel. If this isn't good to do what else can I do to feed only the eel. Any options there

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I think you're fine as long as they continue to eat the pellets & flake. Sometimes fish will refuse the more healthy(pellets & flake) for what tastes better(worms). Varied diet is key.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Depends on the size of the eel and other fish. If you have an open jar with a narrow opening (fine for the eel, not for the other fish), the worms can be put in there, then the jar placed near the eel. A narrow PVC pipe can work the same way.

Of course, you can give the other fish pellets at night as well. Naturally, if the only food being offered is worms, any fish that likes them will go for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store