Is the problem prime? or somthing else

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I recently changed from gravel to super nationals black sand and everything was great with the new sand, tank was super clear right off the bat, I also switched to prime on the next water change. Ever sense that first water change the tank has been cloudy and I cant stand it..lol I'm only using 1 ml per 10 gallons of water so I dont think its over conditioned and I'm using carbon to help but its stull cloudy is it the prime? The sand? Im so confused I've always had perfect clear water.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Disturbed the bacteria that was living in the gravel. You tank is going through a mini cycle as more bacteria establishes elsewhere in the new sand and your filtration and such

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
But you would think a 50% water change would make it perfect even with no bacteria right?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
No. Its a bacterial bloom and water changes can help but it just takes some time for beneficial bacteria to colonize other surfaces. Same thing would happen if you changed out the media in your filter. Have a test kit? Bet you have some ammonia and or nitrite and didnt before you changed the substrate.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I did a 25% water change yesterday but I just checked the the water everything is at zero perfect water according to the test kit I changed the gravel to sand 3 weeks ago.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Prime would definately not cause any kind of cloudy water, just when you got rid of your gravel you got rid of a lot of beneficial bacteria, it will snap back just do a 20% every other day for a few weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store