HELP! sump set up......wet floor

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
Hello!

So im having a problem. its a 75gal its got a sump, says "for use up to 75gal" on it and had a "max" and "min" fill lines.

ive got a rio 1090gph pump on it. i must not be setting it up correctly, im going to try to post a few videos because im sure your going to need more info.

i keep either having the sump spill, or the water will get too low and ill start getting air.....witch im sure is not sure for the pump.

ive searched for how to set it up properly, can anyone point me in the right direction?

ive been coming home to a wet carpet randomly a few times a week for about a month now.......ill post some videos asap because i knowww i didnt do a good job explaining whats going on :(

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
Is it drilled or external overflow ( J tubes)? Is there a valve on either inlet or outlet?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sounds like the height of your overflow box isnt right. If the overflow box is too low it will drain too much of the tank. If it is too high you will just empty your sump. Most external overflow boxes are adjustable.

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
its drilled, the i dont know what to call it buttttttt i can move a pvc pipe (looks like a j) and has 2 holes in it. this would adjust the water level................lol dont worry the videos are up loading

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
i had some technical difficulties getting the videos uploaded.......ill try again.....im sure this is simple i just kind find any where to read about it......and dont know anyone to come by the house and take a look

imo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2014
UK
i once had my return pipe sat half way down the 1000ltr tank and the pump cut out just long enough to loose 500 ltrs of salt water all over my living room and hall way carpet needless to say the misses was not happy, duno if this is any help to you.

Pritch

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
The pump is too big. Sounds like the overflow not keeping up. A 1" PVC overflow will handle roughly 600 gph I believe. Your pump even with head loss is pumping more than that. Try to put a tee with a ball valve on top of the pump to dial it down a little bit. Or try a smaller pump if you have one

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
X2 on the ball valve to tune the flow down; sounds like your pump is feeding more than your overflow can handle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store