Shiner ID?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I know the pictures suck, sorry about that. We have enough trouble keeping our fishing gear in order, let alone a proper camera/equipment. I realize that makes it a shot in the dark due to the wide variety of shiners in the US, but I figure it's worth a shot.

shiner.jpgshiner1.jpg

shiner.jpg

shiner1.jpg

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Looks like a shad or western united states minnow species. Location can be helpful

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Definitely not a shad. There are no shad anywhere near the area.

It was caught in a somewhat deeper pocket of a stream of clove lake, in NYC. There are golden shiners in the system, but these struck me as a different species.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Definitely not a shad. There are no shad anywhere near the area.

It was caught in a somewhat deeper pocket of a stream of clove lake, in NYC. There are golden shiners in the system, but these struck me as a different species.
there are some shad species in NYC so you cannot rule them out....

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
But in an artificially made, stocked, and isolated city pond system that contains no shad, I can, in fact, rule out the possibility that this is a shad.

The fish in question is 100% not a shad, almost 100% a cyprinid.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
But in an artificially made, stocked, and isolated city pond system that contains no shad, I can, in fact, rule out the possibility that this is a shad.

The fish in question is 100% not a shad, almost 100% a cyprinid.
Shads are commonly stocked in ponds as forage fish. And you hasn't rule it out yet till you get a better pictures of fish in question. Otherwise its a bait fish.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
I've fished this system my entire life and talked to hundreds of others who also have, and have yet to see any evidence of any shad. They are not present in the system. The lake is not usually stocked with forage fish of any kind, hence why there is a very low population of bass, but high population of bluegill, pumpkinseed, and bullheads, which subsist mainly on swamp crayfish and other inverts, as well as food thrown to the ducks by people. There are, however, a small number of golden shiners in some deeper regions of the lake.

I also held the fish in my hand and examined it closely, and noted it to be characteristic of a cyprinid, most likely a shiner. In doing so, I ruled out it being a clupeid. Even if you cannot do so by the pictures because you cannot see it clearly, I have.

It's 100% not a shad. I dont know why this is difficult for you to grasp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store