Sand vs gravel

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Will sand hold a adequate amount of good bacteria like gravel does? Or do you have to compensate with excellent filtration?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
sand can hold plenty of good bacteria. Sand is also one of my biggest regrets. It has really chewed up some of my filters.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sand is excellent substrate. It may not house bacteria in the same way but it keeps junk above it where it can be cleaned which leads to better water imo.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Sand and gravel have numerous sizes and physical features that affect BB populations.

If you are not using an UGF, I think evidence suggests that the substrate will hold only a small portion of the tank's bacteria. Conditions in any tank will allow some BB in the substrate, but it would not the be where the majority of BB exist.

If you are only using an UFG, then you will have most (all?) of the BB in the substrate. The answer to sand versus gravel depends on which types of sand versus which types of of gravel you are using, at what depth, how much / how well you are flowing water (oxygen) through the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store