Leaking canister filter

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Has anyone ever had a canister filter start leaking from the seam just below where the top attaches? This is not where the pump attaches to the canister, but below that where the top frame meats the plastic. It's dripping steadily, but on just the one side. The filter itself is a few years old, but it's never been dropped or damaged. I'm just wondering if there is a seal inside that might be worn and if this is something that can be fixed with some sealant.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sounds like you are talking about the main gasket. Make sure it is where it is supposed to be and not damaged. You are talking about the 2 pieces that come apart for cleaning right? Leaking under the lid is common issue and every company sells replacement gaskets

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I purchased 2 used 405 canister filters. 1 was leaking a steady drip down the side. I pulled off the gasket, cleaned the entire surface where the gasket goes and cleaned the gasket it self. then I took some Vaseline and lightly greased the whole gasket. and put it all back together and it was fixed. gaskets are usually cheap to get but I didn't want to wait for shipping. I would inspect the gasket to make sure there are no breaks or tares . if there are then it is no good. hope this helps ya.

Wizzah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2013
Australia
I have the exact same problem after I clean mine, you have to push the lid down like your life depended on it lol, then after that it will still leak very slightly, but after a while it SHOULD come to a stop, good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Rena Filstar, but couldn't tell you more than that, it's a few years old now and it doesn't readily display the size. I'll try cleaning it, but it's leaking rather steadily. I think I'd be less annoyed if it simply stopped working. I don't mind fixing things if the fix is easy enough to figure out.

Jaws Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Rena Filstar, but couldn't tell you more than that, it's a few years old now and it doesn't readily display the size. I'll try cleaning it, but it's leaking rather steadily. I think I'd be less annoyed if it simply stopped working. I don't mind fixing things if the fix is easy enough to figure out.
On the Rena Filstar it does not matter what size they all use the same gaskets, the only difference is the number of baskets on the inside. I would say to take apart and clean the gasket, then use Vaseline on it and also where the shut off valve goes in. If it works I would buy a new gasket to have on hand.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Thank you for the advice. The leak has slowed considerably today, but it's a problem that has to be fixed. I know it will just get worse and will return every time I open it up to change out filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store