Hybrids and the hobby

drgonzo

Feeder Fish
Sep 26, 2010
western pa
This is only my second post, so if this topic has been beaten to death please bare with me and post some links to other relevant threads. I'm not trying to start a flame war or pissing contest, with that said.

What are the hobbies views on hybrids? Is it split? What would your guess at the percentage be if it is split?

The reason I ask, and a little background info. The old lady saw a flowerhorn video on YouTube and had to have one, so I bought her two pair. Mainly just to shut her up so she wouldn't complain anymore about the money I was spending on a new fish/dart frog room that I'm in the process of building. It turns out I like the Flowerhorns a lot more than what I thought I would, and thought about reserving a big chunk of my new fish room for Flowerhorns. I also breed poison dart frogs, and crossing dart frogs is a BIG no no. And keeping locale specific species and bloodline pure is important, for a lot of good reasons that I'm not going to go into depth. I was curious about what the hobbies view as a whole on hybrids/intergrades on fish were before I invested any time or money into this project.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
I have had hybrids, flowerhorn etc. I keep a few parrots in 1 of my tanks now. I actually used to have a female jag the constantly spawned with a male Texas, they were nice looking hybrids. I don't see a problem with hybrids. Although I prefer pure breeds of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The same is important for fish, but there is also a different side as far as the ornamental fish trade goes. Nothing wrong with keeping and breeding hybrids as long as you are responsible with them.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I think hybrids are fine, it becomes a problem when irresponsible people introduce them back into LFS' though, unfair on people who think they're getting pure blood lines.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
There are two sides, one concerned with natural critters and taxonomy and stuff, and the other is interested in quality pets natural or not.
To me it's like dogs. Bred forever by man to take a certain shape or perform a specific task so today we have all these different breeds. I think random and unplanned hybrids are stupid and detrimental to the hobby for the most part. Things like flowerhorns are amazing though, it's like creating a new dog breed and really does take patience and know how. The pollution of pure strains can only really happen by idiots breeding random crap and passing them off as something else and they continue to get passed along until it's too late

Spartacus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
ft.myers,florida
you will get a lot of differing opinions,but not here.this is a hybrid page! go to other places and they will burn you at the stake for mentioning them!lol
mixing s.a. seems to be more acceptable to people in general rather that africans.there are people that really get pissed about it.check this african hybrid that people hate me for037.jpg129.jpg

037.jpg

129.jpg

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I don't mind a sustainable hybrid that is easy to keep without complications. What I do mind is hybrids that are over the top with health issues and typically die young while not being very sustainable (ie one of the parent species might be unsustainable on its own, among other reasons.) Ideally a hypothetical rare hybrid that can produce offspring would exist, but I think those in the know realize how uncommon that is all across the animalia. That is my purely hypothetical standpoint as I am more of a wild-type non-high end kinda guy, but I don't begrudge people if the fish is healthy and responsibly kept. Also for the record I think blood parrots look both ugly and derpy. So there.

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
I believe that the arguments against hybrid cichlids are generally based on a fallacy, since the same people that will say this about cichlids have no problem with fancy livebearers, bettas, etc. most of which are hybrids.

The main problems with hybrids in the cichlid hobby are 1. People crossing random fish and thinking they are worth selling, because flowerhorns are hybrids and 2. Passing off hybrids as pure species (a good example of this is the midevil issue)

However, I do believe that hatred of hybrid fish is largely to blame for the second issue. The only reason that highfin variatus, for example, are not listed as x. Variatus x x.helleri, is that people wouldn't be as accepting of them if the truth was made more evident.

Also the contention about ebjd being hybrids and/or man made. we would know the truth on this issue if the breeders thought people would accept it. I'm not saying this is true, but if it is, it would be a much bigger problem that people are crossing these to pure jd, and the hatred of hybrid cichlids would be directly responsible for the problem.

I know ebjd being a hybrid may be difficult to accept at first because of how the genes seem to work, but I have had some experiences that really give this creedance.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I agree with you kaleidoscope. Also i have been saying for years that I believe ebjd have cuban cichlid blood in them.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My dog is a mutt. My fish are mutts too.

I dont care that im breeding random mbuna cichlids in my african tank... Because they are healthy tank raised fish that are pleasing to look at and they are free. I keep them. I like them.

If I were selling them then I think that would be a different story.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store