OTF Gold Crossback Sudden Death

foxh0und

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2013
Singapore
I have a XB bought from OTF last December. Presently about 8-9 months old.

Diet at the start was pellets and freeze dried shrimps.
Then graduated to small fishes after it is tired of dry food.
Then it got tired of small fishes so I changed to small frogs (about 2-3months). 2 meals a day (9am, 8pm), 6-7 frogs at a time.

Water change is about 10-15%, every 2 weeks. No tank mates.

Just last week, in the morning it refused to eat any frogs. I was surprised since it has never ever rejected frogs before. So I got worried, but let the frogs swim in the tank thinking maybe it will eat later. Fish did not display any abnormal behavior except for 1 loss scale from 2 weeks ago and a bit of self-inflicted injury due to hitting the internal pump in the tank when it is aggressively feeding on frogs. I observed that the fish mouth is opening quite often like it is burping.

I went out for 6 hours and when I am back, the fish is swimming very weakly, the frogs are all dead (not eaten) and the water is now foul-smelling with small white bubbles at the surface of the water. The dead frog's skin seem to be peeling-off and off-colored as well. I noticed that the fish continues to burp and it's body is losing its shine and turning white. I immediately scoop up all the frogs, thinking the water is polluted by the dead frogs. At this time, the fish is already struggling in the water as if from pain. It started swimming upside down. Thinking that the water is contaminated, I quickly pour in a bucket of tap water (with a small cup of de-chlorine) in an attempt to dilute the contaminated water. I know this is not the right move but at that point in time I am already at desperate end. I cannot possibly let the fish continue to swim in contaminated water, and at the same time I do not have the time to let the tap water stay overnight to age.. I read online that the next best thing to do is to reduce water to just around the fish height and continue to hold it in upright position. The fish died before I could completely get the water down to half the tank. It died in my hands, while I was holding its body in upright position.

The whole drama didn't last more than 30mins.

I'm really confused. What have I done wrong? The fish was still eating normally the night before.
Was it because of the new batch of frogs I purchased? (I have been buying frogs from the same place, every week - the frogs are not quarantined, fed straight away to fish)

Sharing this story here in hope that you guys might have an answer to this mystery.
Why did it died so suddenly? What could I have done better to increase it's chance of survival? Was diluting the tank with tap water a wrong move given the situation? (I assume a better move would be to keep spare age water for such emergencies instead of introducing fresh tap water..)

Is there a reason why it waited for me to be back before dying? My sister was at home and she said the fish seems fine (just swimming slowly) till I came home. It was as if the fish has been waiting for me to get home before saying good bye. :(

kiwichew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2014
Singapore
fish was 10-11" long if it helps..
Seems quite small for a 8-9 mths old aro.

Sorry to hear about your loss...I have an OTF Arowana also. Sounds like your aro choked on frogs. Might wanna do an autopsy on its carcass. I think it was trying to vomit/cough out the jammed food/item in its throat.:yuck:

foxh0und

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2013
Singapore
Seems quite small for a 8-9 mths old aro.

Sorry to hear about your loss...I have an OTF Arowana also. Sounds like your aro choked on frogs. Might wanna do an autopsy on its carcass. I think it was trying to vomit/cough out the jammed food/item in its throat.:yuck:
thanks for the reply. Yea I didn't pump it quick enough during the first few months - it was only on pellets and dry shrimps.
I'm suspecting a choke as well. It was always eating so fast, sometimes 2-3 frogs at one go..

I disposed of its body though.. didn't have the heart to open it up, rather have it die in peace as a whole. :(

kiwichew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2014
Singapore
thanks for the reply. Yea I didn't pump it quick enough during the first few months - it was only on pellets and dry shrimps.
I'm suspecting a choke as well. It was always eating so fast, sometimes 2-3 frogs at one go..

I disposed of its body though.. didn't have the heart to open it up, rather have it die in peace as a whole. :(
Hmm...then we might never know its actual cause of death :( But the small white bubbles might be the digestive juices from the arowana in its attempt to forcefully expel out what was dislodged in its throat. Sudden death unlikely to be caused by water problems which usually is gradual instead.

foxh0und

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2013
Singapore
Hmm...then we might never know its actual cause of death :( But the small white bubbles might be the digestive juices from the arowana in its attempt to forcefully expel out what was dislodged in its throat. Sudden death unlikely to be caused by water problems which usually is gradual instead.
Thanks for the insight bro. If choking is the likely cause of death, what could I have done to prevent it / or salvage the situation?
Aro's teeth are pretty sharp so sticking it in to dislodge any object might be dangerous to both the fish and myself yea? FYI before I dispose of the body, i tried to open its mouth a little and I didn't see any foreign object, just a white layer i assume to be its tongue (?) blocking the view into the body.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
This is why I will never feed live food. There is no reason to take a chance introducing bacteria or parasites or whatever else live food can carry. Sorry for the loss on such a nice fish

aakash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
India
So sad, I too had a sudden death experience of one of my RTGs .I know the pain you must have gone through.
May its soul rest in peace.

foxh0und

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2013
Singapore
So sad, I too had a sudden death experience of one of my RTGs .I know the pain you must have gone through.
May its soul rest in peace.
thanks everyone for the concern.

Do any of you have fish choking experience? If have, please share as I would like to know how to remedy the situation.

How about when feeding? Do you guys feed 1pellet / 1fish / 1frog / 1sw at a time or just throw a bunch? I'm sure fishes are greedy enough to sometime eat multiple food at one glup yea?

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
2 meals a day (9am, 8pm), 6-7 frogs at a time.
Sorry for your loss, although it looks like it got overfed at an early age/size and its digestive system could've gotten screwed up. When my aro was around 6-9in, I fed it frogs as treat and fed a maximum of 2 frogs for the day (and a day of no feeding after that for complete digestion). 6-7 frogs a day could've been overkill and could've caused the problem. These beasts can eat like there's no end so control is key. Also with fish, imo, it's better to be underfed than to be overfed,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store