Here is all the drama, 40 boxes, bleeding fingers later! 07/29/14

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
So its here! A little bit at a time. A you have to listen to me rant a little. Often times people wonder why I charge what I charge for a fish, and this is my response to all:

Which one of you out there is willing to spend about $10,000 twice in a month to bring in over 50 boxes of fish just to get some rare fish. On top of it, hours of preparation, feeding and acclimation. Each time there are fish that come in dead, and or in bad shape that cannot be sold. Even if I get credit from the exporter, I still have to pay for shipping and transport which is about $150-200 per box of fish.

How about trying new importers? Yes you can get a list from Nigeria that shows african tiger fish for $15-20 dollars each, go ahead and send them the money. I have been ripped off so many times even with exporters that I have worked with for years, based out of Europe! This year I have been good, but in the previous years, I've easily lost of $10,000 trying to get new and rare stuff.

As for rare fish: Anything that I can get in huge quantities are not rare and the price will reflect it as well, if I can only get small amount or single specimens, that is what makes it rare.

I'm glad there are many new hobbyists here on this forum, and sad that many older ones have left. Here is a note: If you see a scientific name that you do not recognize, try google first, to get some pictures and information on it. :irked: You should be able to get an idea of what they eat, the water they like by browsing through some pictures and reading some online information. After all that, its also part of the fun and challenge to get fish that you've never kept before, trying new food, new techniques to keep them. I've always enjoyed the challenge of keeping fish that most people say are hard to keep.

Don't be followers: yes, Peacock bass were cool, now its datnoid, next plecos. Sure its cool to keep what other's are keeping also. At the same time be adventurous and try new things and dare to be different.

First 3 crenicichla vittata - google for more pictures. one is 10" and the other two are 8" Unknown sex
P7305727.JPG

Not mine just a video for you to see

[video=youtube;fONsBkX3TM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fONsBkX3TM4[/video]

P7305727.JPG

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Here is a new Rhinodoras sp. ? only two pieces, about 5" big. Here is a link to planet catfish with locations where they come from, these came from non of the areas on this map. Maybe I have the wrong genus, any catfish fanatic would like to help? I will humble myself and willing to learn. I don't know everything!!!

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=60IMG_5720.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting insight into the workings of a rare fish importer.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Pseudoplastystoma corruscan - pintado Google for giants, this is the true giant, spotted shovel nose, rarely seen, a lot of fakes. But this is real, from the source!

I have 3 sizes 5" babies $150.00 each
12" $300.00 each
show size 18" $800.00 each

already eating! pictured is a medium one at 15"

IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5759.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store