Installing water softener in home, effect on fish?

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
We have very hard water in AZ, and I am considering installing water softener in the home... My concern now is my cichlids. Can anyone speak from personal experience on using softened water via a water softener and keeping fish? Sodium vs Potassium chloride pellets?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Water softener reactions generally exchange calcium with sodium.
This kind of softness is basically to create suds for a washing machine, and not the kind of soft water that soft water cichlids need (or for drinking), and is not the proper chemical makeup that hard water cichlids are used to.
Most houses (at least in my area)leave at least one tap with straight hard water, and this tap is what I would use for my fish, not salt reacted softened water.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I never had much of an issue using water that was run through my water softener.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I was told by someone I hold as an authority that all a softener does is add sodium ions to the water and basically there is no effect on fish. I have had softened water for many years and never noticed any so it looks like she was correct.

As mentioned though, what you really have is hard water with sodium ions and not truly soft water.

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
Thanks for replies. In not doing it for fish, Rather my appliances and such. Just want to make sure there would be no ill effects on fish. Seem to be getting a lot of mixed info on the web

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store