Moving houses, what is the BEST way to move my ray and his tank?

Gerbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Littleton, CO
I'm moving about a mile north of my current home, and I want to move my ray's tank before anything else. What would be the absolute best way to do this? I was going to keep about 70% of the water from the tank, swap all filter cartridges, and try to get my tank close to temperature again and just acclimate him back slowly. I'd like to know if I should be anymore careful than I was when I first put him in the tank or if it's a similar situation. Thanks, any help is appreciated!!!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Would be my worst nightmare but sounds like you are in a good position and you can get access to where you are moving to? Assuming this is correct then sounds like you are doing the right thing. Here in the U.K unless you have purchased an empty property you usually have to wait for the last owner to move out which is normally the same morning you are moving in, so no time to be messing about with tanks. I would have to find someone to look after mine for a day or so whilst i moved and set up the tank.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I keep my rays in clean plastic trash cans with good aeration. I also use a bit or ammonia neutralizer. Be sure to purge them for 3 days prior to the move.

I move them first while the tank is draining. Keeping as much of the water as you can, but it is not absolutely crucial. What is important is not changing out all your filter pads when you set it back up unless you want the tank to cycle on you. Keeping the good bacteria alive is important.

Move as quickly as you can. If you have a large stock tank for the rays to wait in that would be best the more water volume the better.

I have done this 2x with large rays and have lost zero. Last move they had to wait 12 hours...not recommended.

Figure on the tank move taking most of the day. Plan well.

Gerbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Littleton, CO
Awesome thanks guys. I got it done yesterday, and i had thought about getting rid of the old filter pads and ended up keeping them in so sounds like that was the right call. Just gotta do my piranha tank and gar tank today! :irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store