Finally got myself a Datnoid!

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
;) Wooo!! I managed to get one at last! Super excited. My first datnoid ever.. lol I'm hyped. Just got it in on Monday. I gave it a medication and salt bath, and so far it's doing pretty well in the quarantine tank and already coming up to me when I go near the tank. It's still a 2 inch baby in the flesh.

Check him/her out!

I believe this one to be a Indonesian microlepis species for sure. What do you guys think? I got him for around $16.00.

I CAN'T WAIT until it gets really big. I'll just have to be patient.. I heard they are quite slow growers. Hope you guys like the pics. I want to grow this dat to it's full potential adult size one day. Gonna be quite a wait, but worth it! Always fun to see fish grow up.

Soo a bunch of questions; I hope you dat experts and big fish hobbyists or guests don't mind.. Indo microlepis get around 12 inches to 18 inches, right? Or do they stop at 12 inches? Or get 24 inches?! Depends on the conditions? How do I tell if the Dat is a female or male? I really want to find out. Do you guys think Indo tigers are still being caught in the wild? Do you think mine is wild-caught? They haven't been successfully bred in captivity, I heard.. So, if my dat is wild-caught, should I bother to try and treat for possible internal parasites to deworm? I have a bunch of de-worming flakes I could use in the quarantine. I heard a lot of wild fish carry red camallanus worms and other diseases.. Levamisole is probably a good one to deworm.. I'm also trying to feed it fish flakes recently, but he/she just spits them out. Shucks. I've got some weiss's garlic liquid solution, maybe I could mix the flakes with the garlic solution and see if it would eat the flakes. New Life Spectrum pellets, perhaps it would like that as well. I have some frozen raw wild-caught shrimp as back up in the freezer that is for human consumption, is it safe for the dat? Worried about bacteria and etc in the wild-caught shrimp.. All right, so I've got the shrimp just in case it doesn't take flakes or pellets.

Geez lol sorry for the myriad of questions, guys.. I am just so ecstatic and curious about dats and how to care for them right now, my interest in them has really skyrocketed.

Talk to you guys later.

-William

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
2014-07-12 16.01.22.jpg

I'm on the same boat as you, only had him for about 2 weeks. Doesn't accept pellets but loves blood worms and brine shrimp. I've noticed their mouths are super tiny so pellets are quite hard for them eat. I've heard they get around 22 inches max in the general home aquarium and from my knowledge I'm pretty sure there all wild caught unless someone has some secretes lol. Market shrimp is safe for all fish so you can try it but I doubt that he can eat it unless you rip tiny tiny pieces haha. But if hes acting fine I wouldnt worry about deworming. I'll probably deworm mine when hes a bit more settled in with some pazipro just to be on the safe side, great stuff. Very safe but effective.

2014-07-12 16.01.22.jpg

2014-07-12 16.01.22.jpg

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Nice pics, Daniel. Colors are looking pretty stable on that little dat. Sweet. Thanks for sharing photos and some info. :D I also got some frozen bloodworms on hand, I might give them a try to beef him/her up first and then attempt to feed flakes/pellets with the bloodworms to see if that will work. I don't want to really starve it.. Sadly I noticed that it is flashing and has gotten ich on fins.. good thing I have him/her in the quarantine. Planning the heat and salt treatment now along with some prazi. Should get better soon.

csaechao

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
Daniel has an American Tiger (AT) and you have an indo tiger. Both are looking good.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Awesome. Thanks and I appreciate the ID'ing.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Yep thanks for the id! But I just did some more research on datnoids and long term it seems they need to be in brackish water?!?!?! Hopefully he'll get over the ick quick, I've heard there pretty hardy so it shouldn't be too bad! :thumbsup:

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, he/she will be all right, but still a little worried about something called sudden death syndrome dats may have when juveniles.. and plus we have them quite young at the moment, anything could happen..! So I'm praying he/she doesn't just suddenly decide to drop on me.. I'd be pissed, saddened, and bummed at the same time.

Anyway, I haven't heard about datnoids needing brackish water long term.. Is that true? Hmm interesting.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It is the silver/AT dat that Daniel has that is said to need brackish water for long term health,not the species that you have Neon.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I see. Thanks for the heads-up, krichardson.

Well, Daniel, you seen what he posted, looks like AT Datnoid species requires brackish water. So you'll have to experiment with salt to get the salinity levels correct to achieve a brackish environment in your AT dat tank. Good luck.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Whoops sorry haha I was googling at datnoid! Well I guess people just keep them in fresh water till they hit adult hood and then adjust with salt.. No exact salinity levels so far tho.. Seems like everyone just wings it? haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store