Ich questions

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Hey,

So a few months back I got Ich. I hadn't added anything to the tank in literally months, but it appeared and it was a resistant pain in the ass. The malachite didn't work for a few months straight, so I upped the temps and nuked it with copper. This escalated to a triple dose of copper for literally 2 months straight. It was crazy, but finally it disappeared. I'm shocked my fish lived through it, especially my scaleless catfish (synodontis from Tanganyika are badasses though.) It was to the point where I almost had to get my hands on some fromaldehyde.

It has been ~4 months of goodness, nothing has been added. I just saw one of my fish scratch tonight. I am baffled at where it could be coming from. Is it possible that this was an isolated scratching event where maybe one of his scales got buggered up and he just needed to shed it? How long can the cysts survive in a zero water environment? Maybe one of them lived in a bucket I haven't used in literally months and sat dry? That would be rather extreme, I'm told ich doesn't transfer if you dry out the tank for a few weeks, this has been literally 4 months of dry non use on the bucket which may not even have ever been exposed to the ich.

Either way, if this crap comes back I'm gonna freak out. Especially cause in both cases nothing has been added. I don't even use feeders anymore for fear of that crap unless they come directly from a breeder of like guppies that are doing culls or something. You know, reliable places. Even then, it's been literally 8 months since feeders of any kind.

I'm sure for anyone that's had ich you're on high alert at all times like "did my fish just scratch" out of the corner of your eye. It's funny, only the cichlids scratched. The catfish and bichirs don't appear to care about ich at all.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
It could very likely be gill flukes. I was on the same boat like you once.. thinking that the flashing/scratching/scraping is ich when there aren't any visible signs of them at all.

I would treat using prazipro powder or liquid solution. Flukes are like the freaking fleas of dogs and cats.. so irritating. You got to deworm them once every year or something like that. Good luck.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ich is the easiest fish related illness to deal with. It cannot reproduce in water over 85 so crank the heat, add air to make sure o2 levels dont drop and maybe a little salt and ich will be gone in about a week. Also know it can stay dormant for a long time and wont show until fish get weak or stressed.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I am pretty sure it was ich, they did have a few cysts present on the bichirs. If they continue to scrach I'll try gill fluke treatment first, though no idea where it came from unless tapwater?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although ich is generally easy to treat, there are always a few cysts that are programed (similar to some bacteria) to lay dormant (and resistant to treatment) for months, maybe years, and once whatever environmental situation that is killing the majority of individuals dissipates, awaken.
There are pools in the desert that dry up, and will have cysts that reappear once refilled. And it is theorized the some dry cysts can be carried by the wind and when settled in another wet environment, reemerge.
And each time a treatment is used, there may be only one or two, that develops a bit of resistance to almost any treatment, just as bacteria become immune to certain antibiotics.
Beyond heat, the ich cell wall seems to implode at a salinity of 3ppt or more.
I have used this saline treatment method when malachite was ineffective.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A salinity level under 3ppt (parts per thousand) will not kill ich.
For me to bring water from 0 to 3ppt, means adding about 10 handfuls of rock salt to a 75 gal tank.
I would add it slowly throughout the day, a handful at a time until my salinity meter reads 3ppt.
By the time it hits the 3ppt mark, the water has a salty taste (noticeable on the lips if I were to start a siphon).
Sea water is @ 35ppt.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Ah. Yah the one that was in the bucket for a few days is definitely scratching. Since flukes don't make cysts, I'm gonna assume this is ich again. Time to hit up the store, lol

Actually it might be the flukes. That would explain why the ich treatment failed until I used copper. Is it possible for flukes to come back after several months without adding anything to the tank?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Hey,

So a few months back I got Ich. I hadn't added anything to the tank in literally months, but it appeared...
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis doesn't have a dormant stage. Ich, under extremely low temperatures can take a long time to appear. (E.g., at 43F, it can take 8 weeks to complete a life cycle.) In tropical tanks, if you see ich, it has been recently introduced. It's an obligate parasite and does not have a dormant spore, egg or physical state. It has no way to stop it's life cycle to wait for food. It feeds or dies.

Assuming it was ich, and there are other things that can causes some of the same symptoms as ich, then it could have been introduced by other fish, by plants, by media, by objects, or by water that had been exposed to the ich parasite.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Nothing was added, at all. I think what it might be is that the fishes slime coat was buggered up while it was in a bucket for a few days. The water it was housed in was from the tank it lived in just fine before and the bucket had been unused in like 4 months. The temperature is about 80F.

I'm pretty sure that the cyst stage in the lifecycle can actually be prolonged. Tons of invertebrates do this to combat dry spells in ephemeral ponds, though admittedly I don't have a lot of first hand experience with protozoans (I did however take freshwater invertebrate biology in university)

I am not overly worried, I've only seen two scratches. I really just think it might have been a mild bacterial issue that resolved itself, but if it gets worse there is always meds. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store