Rebuilding a 175 gallon Oceanic bowfront stand (double stack?)

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Bought a 175 gallon Oceanic bow front tonight for a good price, but the original stand is an absolute mess. The guy I bought it from got it from a lady who jacked up her sump and had a bad overflow that badly damaged the stand. He is moving soon and decided he didn't want to mess with the rebuild.

So, the platform is in decent shape and I could save the base, but the vertical support beams need to go. Thinking about two studs on each end and two in the middle and wondering if that will be enough. Also thinking about trying to fit a 75 gallon standard (possibly even a 125) underneath on a revised double deck stand. I've seen several recent posts about doubles that are six feet long, but wondering if I need to do anything different with a bow front.

Any thoughts on this idea? How much support is needed to support the weight (over a ton when filled with water)?

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Any thoughts on this? Looks like the front was supported with 1x2s. Going to try to replace those. It was four across the front with a 2x2 in the center. Might add four across the back for additional support given the water damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store