Looking into Convicts, have some questions

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Heyo,

So my plans for a nice Geophagus tank aren't panning out (I got laid off, can't afford the big upgrade I had planned) so I am looking at trading at least 3 of my 4 Geo's for something that will succeed in the tank I was using to grow up the baby Geo's in. It's a 45 gallon and the only things in it other than the geo's are the 2 senegal bichirs (about 7 inches long, not big enough to kill an adult convict) and a dwarf synodontis species. If I can manage it, I want to keep the 8 inch Geophagus I have as well. That means 2 senegal bichirs, a 5 inch synodontis and potentially an 8 inch geophagus are the potential tankmates.

I am doing my research before I make a move, though, so I have some questions for anyone experienced in convicts:

If I were to get a single pair of convicts, would they succeed with the small senegal bichirs and synodontis? Are there any obvious conflicts?

I'm pretty sure the answer here is yes, but will the convicts ruin the day of the geophagus by nipping the crap out of him? If this is the case I'll trade all 4 geos in.

How much space will they take up for their territory?

How long do they defend their babies before abandoning them?

How is the breeding cycle? Will they constantly breed over and over or do they chill out a bit after they are done defending their fry?

What size are the babies when they are abandoned by the parents?

What size do I need to worry about the babies forming other breeding pairs?

Just what kind of aggression levels are expected for a pair that is breeding?

My dream would be for the Syno to snipe some eggs and for the bichirs to snipe babies to temper the breeding potential of the pair. Obviously this isn't a perfect world, though. I just want some babies, damn it!!

Thanks so much for info.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I think with the 8" Geo, two 7" bichirs, and the syno you might already be full. Also once the convicts start breeding they might claim the whole tank as thiers and force everyone else in to one corner or just out right kill them.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Would the convicts really be capable of bringing down some bichirs and a syno from Tanganyika (it's petricola)??

That is really intense, glad I am getting opinions before doing anything hah!

Cichlidss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
I think with the 8" Geo, two 7" bichirs, and the syno you might already be full. Also once the convicts start breeding they might claim the whole tank as thiers and force everyone else in to one corner or just out right kill them.
I agree! You are already full! And you will need a bigger tank for them at a later stage!
Senegal bichirs get massive! up to 20 inches!
Your Geo will be okay in the tank for awhile..

As for adding a pair of convicts, that would most likely turn out bad for the other inhabitants
I have bred them before and they can be mean when breeding! They wont hesitate to attack bigger fish!

If you wanted to keep the convicts and breed them.. I would keep them alone in 45gal

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I agree I'm overstocked! I really hoped that I'd get a pair from the 4 geo's by now, which timed nicely with my plans to upgrade to at least 110 gallon. Sadly, getting laid off means I have to use that money to do things like feed myself. Isn't that just the worst? A well laid plan gone to ruin, so now I have to formulate a plan B. So I really wanted babies eventually, that's why I am considering getting rid of all 4 geos and grabbing a smaller cichlid that is easy to breed.

I agree, the syno is gonna eat as many eggs as it can. It's unrelenting when it comes to other fish, so they might not be able to fend it off. If they can raid nests of N. brichardi in the wild, I imagine some south american cichlids would be childs play.

You're mistaken about senegal bichirs, though- Captive bred males can be as small as 8 inches, with a 12 inch approximate max for WC females. It's the other species that get out of hand on the size. I targeted this species for their more manageable size! I happen to have two males, both captive bred, so really I don't think their potential is 20 inches. Hah.

I guess the real question now is whether I keep the big male geophagus or if he is replaced with a pair of convicts. The big male geophagus is very territorial, I'm hoping that changes when I give up the three subordinate males.

Thanks so much for feedback guys, I'm scrambling to change fish plans since my money flow has been stifled!

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
It's been resolved- I took in the two smaller males for trade. I scored a Mesonauta festivus in return. I've been wanting one of these for about a year but they are never in stock. With the other 2 male geophagus out of the picture the big one has already toned it down hugely.

Super excited!!!!

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
289fo11.jpg

here is the big male geophagus, I kept him and the two other males in the pic got swapped out today.

ogfhj5.jpg

Two male senegal bichirs.

2jdg7zn.jpg

New Mesonauta added today.

97ic5u.jpg

Best pic of the synodontis I can get with my cell phone and dirty glass, hah. Bugger doesn't stop moving when he's outside of caves!

flly4p.jpg

here is the bowfront. Caves made from a conch shell, petrified wood, ammonites, driftwood, sandstone and deer bones.

Best I could do with my ****ty phone with dirty glass in a bowfront. Also I have no idea how to take photos, so that's a thing as well.

289fo11.jpg

ogfhj5.jpg

2jdg7zn.jpg

97ic5u.jpg

flly4p.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store