Choosing filter socks

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
For you filter sock users: 1) what brand/model would you recommend for durability and ease of use, material? I want something that will easily be thrown into the washing machine and won't fall apart after 10 washes. 2) is there a obviously noticeable difference in clarity with 100 vs 200 micron socks? I"m thinking 100 microns won't plug up as fast and I'm looking for efficiency but also low maintenance where possible 3) Rings easier to hang and change than draw strings? Was thinking of making a DIY acrylic sock support. 4) how do they measure when 'wet'? a 7 x 12 inch filter sock will not be 12 inches tall when wet will it? Or are those measurement accurate in-tank? Thanks

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I buy all mine from McMaster Carr. Cheap and effective. I usually use around 50-100 micron. I prefer the rings. Fopr DIY, use a large piece of PVC tube,6" or so, inside a 7" sock. Put legs on it and done.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Dang, I forgot to order new socks today... I wish I saw this thread earlier.

I think the question is, does anybody NOT buy from McMaster-Carr?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Dang, I forgot to order new socks today... I wish I saw this thread earlier.

I think the question is, does anybody NOT buy from McMaster-Carr?

Check out duda diesel. That's where I get mine. Cheaper and faster shipping

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Jemcho(they ship to Canada), bought a whole box of 7" x 32" almost a year ago and I am still washing out the original 6 pairs. Still have unused pairs in the box so the hold up good in the washer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store