WC Chocolates looks different from captive bred ones?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Anyone have any pics of WC Chocolate cichlids compared to captive bred ones? I would like to see if/how different they look from each other. For example, I think WC Oscars are much prettier than most captive bred ones, and so I'd like to see the difference in Chocolates.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Chocolates have not been line bred to the extremes that Oscars have. You're not likely to see much/any difference at all.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Chocolates constantly change color whether they're wild or tank-bred, but it's hard to tell differences between them unless someone specifically states that they're wild caught.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I have wild cought Chocolates (Hypselecara temporalis) and they are no different from captive breed ones, however there are some subtial differances in coloration from collection point to collection point in wc chocolates. So depending on the collection point some races may look different from others but that's about it. Thay do, as has been mentioned change coloration with mood changes. Mine go from dark brown to rusty to green and all shades inbetween as they change moods or are in breeding dress, submissive fish also present different colors from dominat ones.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok, thanks! Chocolates look so different in various pictures I wondered if it had to do with where they were caught or not. Good to know it is just based on mood!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store