Quick Mesonauta question

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Just curious if Mesonauta needs to be in a school or not. I was told they don't really, but they will school if there are some around. I've read they tend to just clump up around any fish that doesn't go after them (geophagus, discus, angels etc). I got one as a trade in for some of my cichlids to see how my big male Geophagus and my bichirs would handle the species. So far, so good. Do they need friends though? If so I can always go back and get some more, I just needed to test the waters first so I didn't end up with a blood bath.

I've had my eye on them for over a year but of course this is the first time I've seen them for sale. :)

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Just curious if Mesonauta needs to be in a school or not. I was told they don't really, but they will school if there are some around. I've read they tend to just clump up around any fish that doesn't go after them (geophagus, discus, angels etc). I got one as a trade in for some of my cichlids to see how my big male Geophagus and my bichirs would handle the species. So far, so good. Do they need friends though? If so I can always go back and get some more, I just needed to test the waters first so I didn't end up with a blood bath.

I've had my eye on them for over a year but of course this is the first time I've seen them for sale. :)
They should be in a group of 3 altogether but you might be able to get away with one

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I always keep them in groups of 6 or more. There will be a lot of conspecific nipping/chasing. Mine were always pretty nippy with other cichlids when they got over 6 - 7". A lot of people here say they haven't seen that behavior, but I've witnessed it in two different groups of wild Mesonauta, both different species. They attacked both adult discus (M. acora) and large severums (M. festivus). They dive-bomb from above and attack the foreheads/dorsal hard rays of other fish. I'm not sure if keeping a single specimen would prevent that or make that worse, though.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I really am sick of conspecific bullcrap for now, so I might just keep the one so long as he doesn't show signs of stress. Right now he's just derping around the aquarium casually, really lazy movements and is grazing on the mulm kicked up by cichlid excavations :)

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
They seem to be more natural minded and confident when in groups, but many people report calm and quiet solitary festivum.

Conspecifics are something every species deals with and thus every cichlid owner will likely deal with it also. Same or similar species of fish compete for the same space and resources (food, shelter, mates, etc), so it's natural for conspecifics to occur so that either the death of opposition frees up resources, or a natural hierarchy forms to allow for members to understand who gets first dibs on anything. The only way to avoid conspecifics is to keep solitary fish or keep communities of species so different that they don't see each other as competition.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I have kept several different species of mesonauta. I have always kept them in groups. They are hands down one of my all time favorites.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I am thinking maybe I should get some sort of plant for this lil fellow, but the geophagus dig literally everything up all day every day. So maybe a floating plant?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I am thinking maybe I should get some sort of plant for this lil fellow, but the geophagus dig literally everything up all day every day. So maybe a floating plant?
A floating plant works. You can still add a plant to the tank. Just place rocks that are too heavy for your Geos to move around the base of the plant.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store