Ways to speed up nitrogen cycle

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Hello everyone if you read my past posts I had to completely abandon my old 40 and I'm in the process of buying a new one as a replacement. When I do sometime next week I want to buy a lot of media as well (preferably not from someone else's tank.) I read somewhere that there is "live sand" and decor you can get that contain loads of ammonia and nitrite eating bacterias but I don't know if these can apply to freshwater tanks. So does anyone know if there is bacteria containing sand and decor for freshwater fish available at generic pet stores, and if not if there are any alternative media sources I can use to speed up the cycle? Also just making sure but to do a fish less cycle all I should be doing is adding tiny parts of fish food daily and measure the water quality, right? And finally if I'm doing a fish less cycle but adding a ton of media sources do I still need to be adding fish food? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
You can't buy live sand or decor for freshwater tanks from fish stores, your best bet would be to ask a friend/local forum member or your LFS if they can give you a squeeze from their filter sponges or even some of their filter media, if you can get enough of it your tank could be cycled very quickly. If you can't get any then a fishless cycle would be the way to go, i've never used fish food personally, I used pure ammonia, easier to keep track of how much you're adding.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As Jamie said. The more " cycled" stuff you can put in your tank and filter the better.

Mind that the transport between tanks must be quick so BB do not die on the way over.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
The thing is, there aren't really any LFS near my area that have this kind of deal. Most of them are just Petco or Petsmarts (ugh) and the one LFS is run by a bunch of jerks who are only interested in selling fish, no exceptions. I guess what I'm trying to say is, would you happen to know of any alternatives, like maybe factory produced additives and such that would help introduce bacteria? I do happen to have a friend who I introduced into fish keeping but he doesn't know much about the hobby and only has goldfish which are really dirty. I'm sorry to get so specific with you :p

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Even though it seems to be divisive on here, as the poster above mentioned; I've used api quickstart it works

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't believe Quickstart can work because they claim the same formula is for salt and fresh..
There is a product called Fritzyme that as far as I know only sells direct. I have talked to numerous people that swear by it. I have had tanks going for so long I haven't needed to worry about it.

Here is a link.
http://www.fritzzyme.com/index.php?p=fritzzyme-nitrifying-bacteria

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
To jump start the nitrogen cycle, add some aquarium plants to the tank. The plants are loaded with beneficial bacteria. In addition they can remove ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate directly from the water.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Even though it seems to be divisive on here, as the poster above mentioned; I've used api quickstart it works

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
What exactly is API QuickStart? I see this a lot but I don't get it. Is this the pure beneficial bacteria that is otherwise found in "live sand" for marine aquariums? If so I'll give it a shot.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I don't believe Quickstart can work because they claim the same formula is for salt and fresh..
There is a product called Fritzyme that as far as I know only sells direct. I have talked to numerous people that swear by it. I have had tanks going for so long I haven't needed to worry about it.

Here is a link.
http://www.fritzzyme.com/index.php?p=fritzzyme-nitrifying-bacteria
Looks pretty neat! I'm a bit confused, the product says it eliminates ammonia and nitrites. But if I'm starting a new tank there ARE no ammonia and nitrites, right? So should I be adding a second dosage of something that would correspond with Fritzyme?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store