Sump overflow

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have my sump drilled to overflow my drip water

Is it possible to put a DIY overflow pipe on a sump to lower my water level a bit
My sump is on the floor
My sump is 20" tall and I want about 6-7" of water in it

I have seen most people put the overflow in the main tank which I may need to do if it doesn't work from the sump

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
As long as the water is flowing lower than your overflow you will be fine. Most ive seen done off the tank are to run to a wall drain. Seen plenty of sump overflows mounted low if the water is going into a floor drain or outside. Just remember in the event of power failure all that water is leaving your system and your sump will run dry when pumps kick back on

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
As long as the water is flowing lower than your overflow you will be fine. Most ive seen done off the tank are to run to a wall drain. Seen plenty of sump overflows mounted low if the water is going into a floor drain or outside. Just remember in the event of power failure all that water is leaving your system and your sump will run dry when pumps kick back on
Yeah it drains away now when power goes out

Will this work I know I will probably need to prime it everytime the power goes out

http://youtu.be/n9kNTU2mNJc

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I am probably being thick, but why do you want to get the water level in your sump so low?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Oh, okay. I only get a good waterfall in my last chamber that holds the return pump, too noisy anyway. This is where my overflow to drain is as well. The bulkhead sits about halfway up the sump and i did not glue any of the pipe to the bulk head so i can turn it and reduce the water level or add a longer pipe and increase the water level if i want.
I'm not getting the flow over waterfall effect from all compartments

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Oh, okay. I only get a good waterfall in my last chamber that holds the return pump, too noisy anyway. This is where my overflow to drain is as well. The bulkhead sits about halfway up the sump and i did not glue any of the pipe to the bulk head so i can turn it and reduce the water level or add a longer pipe and increase the water level if i want.
My sump is setup like a normal sump it's setup like a giant canister filter as I had such good results using canisters on my old tank

Sump is full to about 18"
Drains from main tank
First section 3 layers of jap mat then water goes under a glass
Then 6 layers of jap mat topped with a thick sheet of white filter floss the water then goes over a glass after passing all of that
Then passes throw about 40l of eheim efimech then goes under a glass
Then about 60l of eheim sub pro
Then up and over a few glasses that are are close to each other that have heaters and ph redox probes
Then to return pumps

It works fine just you know what it's like summer I like to play with the tank and try something new

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
You must be rinsing lots of jap mat if that is all there is to trap the big particles. Why not filter socks and then jap mat? I have big sumps and no waterfall effect in any chamber and it still works really good, probably couldn't ask for better except for maybe a machine that would change the socks for me! LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store